Too Young To Be a Dad?

Greendad

How old is too young to be a dad? My nephew is 19 and he is considering to get married with his girlfriend. He has a good job (though I don't know who much he earns from the job).

stayathomepaul

I think that is too young. He is just out of high school, has not had enough time to get life experience. Still, one of the best fathers I know became one, reluctantly, at 19.

Jdrake

That is pretty young to settle down. He has a good job now, but with the economy the way it is how long will it last. Still, young people have to learn somehow. Marriage is hard though, and so is fatherhood. A person has to be willing to develop maturity and responsibility.

Salazar

I think 19 is too young. Why rush things? If they love each other that much then they'll still be together in a few more years after they've had some time to mature a little more.

Clive

I work with a kid who is 19 and his girlfriend is having a baby in a couple months. They seem to be handling it well so far and they're planning to get married, but I still think they're a little too young. She's already started ruling the roost, telling him where and when he can go anywhere. He's a very responsible kid - I just don't think they're totally ready for something this big.

Ed35

I think its his choice. Our parents were getting married before the age of 19 and most of them are still together. I think it's honorable that he wants to get married - at least he is not out making babies without thinking of marriage.

Luke

I think it's more about maturity than age. I have been with my wife since we were 15, and we moved in together when we were 20.

Greendad

That's great Luke. I agree with the others that it's a bit too young for him to get married, but you have a good point. Like people said, being old is a must, being mature is a choice.

2andalone

I think it depends on maturity more than age, but I would never recommend fatherhood to somebody less than 20. I know 40 year old men not fit to be fathers.

huullk

I think that is too young. He is just out of high school, has not had enough time to get life experience. Still, one of the best fathers I know became one, reluctantly, at 19.

Andersson

When you have 10 years experience under your belt in how the world really works. Anyone who is at least 25 should be okay but that depends on their mentality too, some mature quicker than others but not all do.

Timothy

I think some people mature more quickly than others, so for one specific person, being a husband at 19 might be okay while for others, it's too soon. With parenting, it's the same thing. Being mentally ready to be a parent comes at different times for everyone. However, I will say that I've never met a 19 year old that I thought was ready to have a child, or one that said they didn't regret having one that young if they'd already had one. I think when pregnancies happen accidentally, someone that age can make it work because they have to, but I don't think they should get pregnant on purpose that young.

Lorenzo

I think it's more about maturity than age. I have been with my wife since we were 15, and we moved in together when we were 20.
I agree with Luke - it's not all about age but maturity. Then again, how can a person gauge maturity? One of course, is through a person's age. I'm torn about this because I think that marriage should not be rushed, even if the young couple feels that they are ready for it. If it were me, I would wait for three to five years before I take the plunge, and spend the time getting to know each other better.

Bear

Oddly enough my wife and I were talking about this last night. Like Luke I have been with my wife since we were 15, and we moved in together at 21 and got married three years later. What we were talking about though was how you can never really "know" someone until you live with them. Being in the South though that is something that has a strong stigma still attached to it if you are not married.

Victor

It is very young. People change so much in their late teens and early 20s and it can be difficult to grow together rather than apart. I wouldn't recommend getting married or having a baby at that age.

Clay

Is the girl pregnant and that is why he is getting married? I think he should hold off and just live with the girl. Like someone said, you never know a woman until you live with her! Now, if she is pregnant he at least needs to be a man and support the baby. That does not mean he has to get married, though. Kids get in a rush for everything and they need to relax and hold off on some things.

meowcow

Well, if he already has a job then I think his age shouldn't be a hindrance for him getting married. Different people have different goals and we can only try to guide others, we cannot live their lives for them. This is a success or mistake that he will have to make on his own. None of us know the future so none of us are really that much qualified to assume what will or will not happen.

Jack

Everybody is different. Some very young people are quite responsible, and sometimes more responsible than people twice their age.

Godric

I think that is too young for getting married. One has to enjoy life first before committing to such responsibilities.

They may be happy right now but what's to say they wont get bored of one another after 50 to 60 years?