Took in a stray . . .

Len

There is a cat that has been coming around our door the last week begging for food. It has a collar and no tag so we've decided to take it in and put up some fliers tomorrow. What I am concerned with is how do I know that it's not a neighbor's outdoor cat? It looked well cared for in the beginning but it's looking rougher each day and it's been really hungry.

Sportsfanatic

It's usually pretty easy to tell which cats are homeless. Often times, they are pretty skinny. I've taken in three strays and gave them a nice home. I'd take in more if I could because I feel bad when I see stray animals, but I really can't now.

2andalone

I think that if the cat keeps coming to eat food from outside your house and starts to look really skinny, that's a sign the cat is homeless. If he tries to come inside your house when it's cold out that would be another sign.

Phillie

If you feed it, the kitten will keep coming back. I say take it in and take care of it. If someone comes looking for the kitten, you know it belongs to someone.

Len

Well, we brought it in for a day and it's not getting along with the other cats so it spent some time in one of the rooms in the house. It really wanted to go outside though, so I decided to keep food and water outside and it has a name now - Rupert. If it wants to come inside it is welcome to but it wants to be outside so I will let it roam.