Two year old still breastfeeding.

benny

One of our friends has a two year old that is still breastfeeding is that healthy? My kids stopped around the age of one and me and my wife always thought that was plenty enough, were we wrong?

Ed35

I think it depends on how long the mom wants to do it. I don't like the thought of a 2 year old breastfeeding, but it's not our choice. Our kids stopped before the age of 1.

Fatherof2

I think most moms stop around 1, but the actual recommendations ARE until the age of two. I think it really just depends on what the mom and child are comfortable with.

bighelp

Not too sure on this one since we could not do it with ours but 2 seems a little old even though I have heard of older too. Those I am completely against, there is no need for it.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
From my understanding the benefits of breast milk deteriorate as time goes on. I've seen some kids a lot older then 2 on it. There was even a mother and son on youtube, he was in his teens still breast feeding.

We stop at one though.

erin

Ouch. Big, big ouch. I was at a Vietnamese couple's house for dinner one night and their four year old came up and tried to grab his mother's breast for milk. It didn't bother me because I chalked it up to the difference in cultures.