Unemployment Drops to 8.6%

Andersson

I guess that is great for those in Europe but what about the US, when are we going to get things turned around? Honestly I am starting to think some people are getting too comfy with being out of work, almost like its a plague and they can not help themselves.

2andalone

We're not comfortable with the lack of work, that's for sure. It would be nice to have more hours and make more money. I don't think there's actually anybody out there saying "I'm comfortable with the fact that I can't support my family because I don't have a job."

Christian

We're not comfortable with the lack of work, that's for sure. It would be nice to have more hours and make more money. I don't think there's actually anybody out there saying "I'm comfortable with the fact that I can't support my family because I don't have a job."
Exactly 2andalone! Andersson, do you have any idea how hard it is to find a job now? I know people who have been looking consistently for THREE YEARS for work and they aren't even counted as Labor Statistics anymore. Are you aware that when you have been out of work that long you go to the bottom of the potential employee file because you haven't "worked consistently". People that are unemployed for that long may also have a horrible credit rating after exhausting every possible avenue to feed their kids, and that includes maxing out the credit card in the hopes that "you'll find something soon". Bad credit rating, and an "unstable work history" are two strikes against you when there are already at least 5 or 6 candidates for every 1 open position.

Ralphie

The unemployment rate came down from 9 percent to 8.6 percent in the US for November. It was expected to remain at 9 percent, so I'd say it's good news.

Sportsfanatic

Christian is right, people don't understand that unemployment number. Many people stopped looking for a job. I personally couldn't ever do that if I was out of work, because I wouldn't want to be homeless. The unemployment number is actually higher than what is shown every Friday.

Kenny

The unemployment numbers are pure fiction propagated by the government, and I can't believe that anyone thinks they are even close to accurate. Use a non-government related source and the unemployment number is between 15-19%. Also, those jobs that were "added" are seasonal employment so they will have zero long term effect.

Rob

The government hasn't changed how they calculate the unemployment figure. It has never, nor could it ever, be a completely accurate picture of reality. The figure is just meant to be a gauge.

Gilbo

I am sure many people are aware of what happens when someone is out of work for a certain time span, it seems a little rude to be trolling about such a common misunderstanding though. Some people know and some do not, if you know and assume others do not, then take the time to educate them not bash them for it. Ignorance shows through that way many times over and its not very nice.

I know many people who have been out of their preferred work industry for years too, but they are still working in the best way they know how. If the job pays then they are doing it. I really get tired of seeing people who assume that just because one job is not available then no job is. Grow up and realize that even in a down economy you can not always get what you want, you get what you can.

Luke

What Christian should have said (or added) is that there are 5 or 6 candidates for every open position, and that includes those at fast food places. Case in point: We went to a local Dairy Queen the other night ( as a very rare treat), and the manager was sitting at a booth looking at a several large files of papers. One of his employees asked what he was doing, and he replied that he was trying to find some people to interview. His employee gasped and said " you mean all those are applications of people who want to work HERE"? The manager replied yes. There were hundreds of applications in those files to work at DQ for $7.15 an hour part-time with no benefits. My point is there are plenty of people willing to take ANY job at this point including slinging greasy burgers and picking up garbage, but that does not mean there are positions available for them.