Unruly Cat

June11th

First of all I would like to say that this Cat is treated like a queen.
Food is always a plenty. She has a million and one toys. She's vaccinated, microchipped, registered and desexed. She's allowed outside. She's treated with the most affection, when she will co operate and not try and rip our arms to shreds.
I can't think of what else we can offer her in our home.

She's about 8 months old. And she's a biter and a scratcher. She loves making runs at our feet, she loves grabbing them with her front paws and kicking with her back.

In the whole time we have had her I can't think of a single time she's been relaxed at all. She's never sat still on my lap, when I try to, she'll just start biting. I could even just be sitting here at the PC, then BAM - she's got my foot.

I feel like it would be unfair to give her away, as she is a member of the family and we do love her.

I just need advice.

Victor

Part of it is just being a kitten. She's still very young, you know. Try giving her more attention and reward her with treats when she behaves. You can also consider declawing her, although some people disagree with that practice.

June11th

I definitely disagree with declawing her. I don't know, something about it just seems...Not me, I guess.
I guess it's just a test of patience.

Jonathan

Yeah, I don't agree with the idea of declawing her. It doesn't seem right to me. A cat is carnivorous by nature. You should let her keep the claws.

CHenne

Some cats are not lap cats, they don't like to be held. It's just the way it is. I would not get her declawed either. I think that is just wrong. You can just try to show her more attention and love and maybe she will come around.

Don

She is still a kitten. Give her some time and she will settle down. It is kind of like having a dog, they start out real wild and crazy and then mellow out as they get older. She just needs to grow up some first.

Andersson

You said it right there, she is 8 months old. Have you ever had a kitten before? Not all cats are the same and the range of a personality from one to another is amazing sometimes. We have three and each have their own mind, temperament and patience level.

June11th

I have had kittens before, maybe I'm just used to much more mellowed out ones and this time I have met my match? I mean, she's uncontrollable. It's like she doesn't need to relax.
But as was mentioned before. Maybe she's just not a lap cat and this is just her personality.
I just hope she doesn't cause too many problems when my daughter is born (in just over a month...)

Obviously that's my main concern.

Victor Leigh

Sounds like that's the first time you had a cat in your life. Yes, some cats do think that your feet are the greatest toys in the world. I had even got one kitten that thinks my toes were more delicious than toasted fishballs.

You can try this. When she does it the next time, just growl at her. Growl very angrily. Cats usually can understand that type of language.

June11th

You can try this. When she does it the next time, just growl at her. Growl very angrily. Cats usually can understand that type of language.
Done.

Spraying water?
Done.

Every piece of advise we've been given. It works for a few days, and then it's like she builds an immunity and our 'futile' attempts make her madder. :/

Victor Leigh

Done.

Spraying water?
Done.

Every piece of advise we've been given. It works for a few days, and then it's like she builds an immunity and our 'futile' attempts make her madder. :/
In that case, there's only one thing left to do. Cage her. Not all the time. Just cage her when she bites. Let her out only when it's time to eat. If she doesn't bite, let her be. If she bites, back into the cage again.