Used clothing

benjamin

How do you all feel about reusing clothing, hand-me-downs, etc..? We have a baby on the way (in 3 months) and my wife and I are having a discussion about whether or not it's a good idea to do this. I won't tell you my opinion til after you answer. lol

Boston

In regards to this matter, the concept of passing clothes is cost-effective. Instead of buying new clothes that your child will undoubtedly outgrow rather quickly, hand-me-downs could be the best solution. They are often in good to "like new" condition and will save you a lot of money.

In my family, when my cousin's son outgrew his clothes, they were passed on to my son. Then once he outgrew them, I passed them onto my brother's son, and my brother later passed it to my sister's son.

In the event that there isn't anyone else to pass the clothes onto, I would suggest donating the clothes to a local charity to help out the less fortunate children in your community. My son always feels good to know that by donating his clothes to charity, it is helping another child.

MikeWay

We hand down close from our older daughter to our younger daughter, then take it to good will. As long as they are not torn or stained we don't see a problem with it.

James B

Yeah benjamin, I have to agree with Boston and Mike here. Why not save the money for future expenses? I don't know where your thoughts are on this, but it seems wise to save up now and use clothes if they're available. Check out Salvation Army, I know they have some stuff that barely looks used!

Phillie

Of course hand-me-downs are fine. Heck I wore them when I was growing up. I don't see a problem with it at all. I wish we had hand-me-downs for our baby that is on the way. We have been hitting a lot of yard sales and we are buying nice used clothes there.

Walker

I'm a little weary of used clothes, since I don't know where they have been, but hand-me-downs are perfectly fine since it was one of your other kids who wore them. When they get older and develop their own sense of style, it's a different story, but when they are young I consider them perfectly fine.

bighelp

I see no issues with it as long as you know where the items come from before hand. Most things can be cleaned up if ever needed. I would never use undergarments though.

Thompson

I think hand me down or used clothes are just fine. I mean throwing away clothes in good condition is just wasteful. Kids don't usually wear them very long at all so in most cases they still have a good bit of life left in them.