Vacation Ideas

Timothy

We've decided to go on a vacation this summer, but we're on a tight budget so we can't go anywhere that's too far to drive. Since we live in Georgia, that pretty much restricts us to the southeast United States. Within that region, does anyone here have any suggestions?

polamalu43

I've been to Jekyll Island, GA. several times. I love it! You didn't say what you want to do. My family loves to go to the beach. You can go to Virginia, Carolina, Myrtle or Jersey beach - they are on the way down the coast.

Timothy

We went to Jekyll Island recently but it was in January, so we couldn't really do anything while we were there. As for what to do, we're not picky. Beaches, gambling, fishing, swimming... I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point!

Chrisitan

I would find a state park somewhere and go camping. It would be a great time! Take the kids bicycles, games and stuff like that and they would have a blast. Any time you can get kids into the open air is a great opportunity to teach them they can have fun without video games.

BigPapa

I agree with the camping idea. It is still a relatively cheap vacation and you can get out in the great outdoors. We are heading for a week long trip this summer at a state park here. It's $170 for the campsite for the week. Then we really just have food and gas once we get there.

olderthandirt

If you're not into roughing it too much, you might consider finding a camp or cabin to rent for a week or two. This costs more than camping, but much less than hotel rooms, plus are usually located by attractions like a lake or hiking areas. You can save on food that way, since you can cook instead of going out to eat.

Chrisitan

That's a good idea, older. I love the cabins at our local state park and we have rented them before. It was a sort of family reunion when several families rented three of the cabins. We had two families in each cabin so we all had a blast!

Timothy

I like the camping idea but I think if we were to vacation at a state park, we would have to go with Olderthandirt's idea of renting a cabin. We had a tent at one point but it's mysteriously vanished, along with a lot of our other camping supplies. =/

Andersson

I have not been to Myrtle Beach in ages, but if you are heading in that direction you might be able to hit The Outter Banks too. Both are great places to be and I think sometimes you can find deals online for at least the first one, my cousin bought his daughter a hotel deal online a few weeks back.

Timothy

We've never been to Myrtle Beach; that's a great idea Andersson! We were just talking earlier about going somewhere we've never been before. What are The Outer Banks?