Vacation Money

Bobby

My wife and I have decided that we are only going on vacation this year if we can make enough money outside of our regular jobs. So we're trying to come up with some ideas. Since neither one of us want to miss out on family time, we're thinking of selling on eBay. We thought we might buy items when there is a huge sale and resell them. Any suggestions?

Babar

Why can't you use any of the income from your regular jobs? Selling stuff on eBay is not going to generate the thousands that are needed to take a decent vacation unless you're a pro.

I'd recommend reworking your budget and cutting out any money sucks that you don't really need, like cable. Then use the money you save towards a vacation instead.

Michael

The best way I have found to save for a vacation is to make yourself save five bucks a day. I do this by cutting out drinks, using coupons or doing an odd job once in awhile. We put $5. in a jar every day and end up with over $1800. by the time a year has gone by. We don't even miss the money.

Christian

That is a pretty good idea Michael. We usually take the money for vacations out of our tax refund check. We have a change jar that we cash in just before we go as well.

polamalu43

It's a tough economy and some people just can't use their regular income for "fun things". I understand that! I don't know how much you will make from e-bay - I have never tried it. I probably would not try it. You don't want to spend too much up front and then have the items not sell.

Bobby

We're kind of set on paying for our vacation by making some extra income because there's not a lot left at the end of the paycheck. It's kind of a fun challenge for us because what we do on our vacation is going to be decided by how much we make. We're hoping it's not going to be a "stay-cation".

Michael

EBay lets you list so many items for free each month. They often have free listing days, too. I've found that it actually does bring in money on some things I want to get rid of anyway. I make about a thousand dollars a year on eBay.

wilson

I know tons of people that sell online, a friends wife starting doing this when she became a work at home parent. He works from home but he has a separate office for it and she was "bored" most of the time when she was not playing with their little one.

Salazar

I would suggest selling some of your unwanted things on eBay before you get into buying and reselling. That could be a risky venture if you buy a bunch of stuff and have a problem selling it.