What to do with a 1 1/2 year-old?

Niceness8000

I've taken my son to Chuck E Cheese and to our local theme park (Busch Gardens Tampa). We've gone to the park, to the mall, and walking around the neighborhood. He is 1 and 1/2 so he spends most of his time just taking in the sights. He seems to enjoy just being able to run around in whatever direction he picks as long as he's not restricted. So I'm looking for any other suggestions for places I can take him. I work from home, so I try to go somewhere different as much as possible. Is there anything you've done with your kids that isn't on this list?

NoRisk

The important thing to remember about younger children is that they really are just happy going to the park. Perhaps look up other parks that are a little further away or take him to a young childrens learning centre. One that has many activities to stimulate the brain that are also very fun, like water play for example (what floats and doesn't)

JRDeep

Yeah, it doesn't take much to impress kids. Everything is new and excellent to them. It's a great way to view the world. they're excited when it comes to the little, subtle things.

erin

Take a public bus or subway for a change of pace during the afternoon when it's slower. I'm sure he'd love just looking around at all the different people.

writer811

How about the beach? Sand is fun for kids to play with, especially the first time, and as long as he doesn't run into the water without a floatation device, it's a wide open space for him to run around.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
It may be a little late, and not sure if they are still open, but Dunedin has a spray grounds. A bunch of sprinklers and such. Not sure how close it is to you, but you mentioned Busch Gardens so it may be close. I do not see a official website, but here is an article on it. New sprayground in Dunedin called "funner" than a pool - Tampa Bay Times

My kids have been a few times and they have fun. My son is about the same age and enjoys himself there.

ghanashyam

That is because everything is new to them, you take them anywhere they are going to wander off to every direction. They are eager to see, touch and feel everything that is new to them.
Why do you expect them to sit still and enjoy what is set right before them? That is not possible, this is my personal experience.

FrankSinatra

I've taken my son to Chuck E Cheese and to our local theme park (Busch Gardens Tampa). We've gone to the park, to the mall, and walking around the neighborhood. He is 1 and 1/2 so he spends most of his time just taking in the sights. He seems to enjoy just being able to run around in whatever direction he picks as long as he's not restricted. So I'm looking for any other suggestions for places I can take him. I work from home, so I try to go somewhere different as much as possible. Is there anything you've done with your kids that isn't on this list?
I live in Tampa and you didn't say anything about the beaches and parks. Kids love it because they can run around and go crazy. If he likes taking in the sights you need to hit up the Lowry park Zoo and the Florida Aquarium or even head out to the Clearwater Aquarium.

Mr. Rogers

Do any of your local parks have splash pads? Ours does. It's a big concrete play area with tons of water spouts coming up at different intervals. I bet he'd love that.