What to do?

Lorenzo

I recently learned that one my teenage daughter's classmates (who also happens to be our neighbor) has been living with her other minor siblings without any adult supervision for almost a year now. She was at the house yesterday and asked me to act as her guardian in a school activity. Her mom, she said, had ran off with another man, while her dad is working abroad. Her oldest sibling is 17 and the youngest is eight. There are five of them. She doesn't know how to contact her mom and her dad will be coming home (for a visit) next month. They don't have any relatives nearby.

I'm really concerned about their family situation. I don't know if it's a good idea to intervene and to contact their dad or social service. She said she doesn't want to be apart from her brothers and sisters and she'd rather no one knows about their situation. :confused:

Salazar

Wow, that's really amazing that the kids have managed to go that long without anyone finding out. I do think you need to intervene to some extent and try to contact the dad or even a relative who may live far away, but could possibly help. Social Services, to me, is a last resort.

Don

I would contact the Dad. I believe in some states that the 17 year old would be considered old enough to watch over the others, but I don't know if it is like that in all states or not.