When is the time right?

newguy

With all the Chic-Fil-A uproar about them supporting family rights and the gay community saying it is wrong, I am sure the older children have heard it and have questioned or have questions. How do you go about talking about the right for gays to marry? even just the topic of homosexuality? Do you wait until they ask, or do you do a general "everyone is different" speech? I have pre-teens and haven't been questioned yet, although I did teach them not to use the terms "that's gay" or "that's retarded"

I am not trying to start a hot headed argument, just looking for everyone's honest and respectful opinions

flfsurveyor

The earlier, the better. Kids hear about the matter in school. They see it on TV - ever watched 'Modern Family'? Your children must understand your family's stand on the issue. It's good that you have already cautioned your children on viewing homosexuality as something 'abnormal'. That's a good start - proceed with explaining why you think that way. Good luck!

Michael

We deal with it when our daughter comes home from school and asks questions that obviously come from something she heard or observed at school. She's only nine and still very naive, so we haven't had many of the big issues yet, but we know they're coming. We'll let her questions guide us.

BigPapa

We have 2 gentleman friends that are married and have a child with another on the way so she knows that there is nothing wrong with it. Every family is different-some people have a mommy and daddy, some only one or the other and some two of each. This day and age a family isn't necessarily just a husband and his wife.

Dan

We brought it up when our younger son learned a bad word in kindergarten. We just taught him that the word is not a nice way to describe boys that kiss other boys instead of girls. (We tried the word like instead but he likes boys and girls so we had to go with kiss.)

writer811

In a different time, I would have said twelve or thirteen but kids are starting to pick up on adult things earlier and earlier. Now, I would say maybe around five or six is a good time to explain it to them. I see kids under ten years of age smoking, drinking and getting pregnant. If they're exposed to that crap that young, isn't it just naive to believe that they haven't heard anything about controversial subjects?

R. Paradon

Teaching your children about homosexuality should be when they start to ask questions about it. From the replies here I can see that everybody seems to be positive in their approach.

Babar

If you're a bigot, then avoid expressing your narrow-minded opinions to your kids at all costs, please. I think it's fine to explain to young kids that love is love no matter if it's boy-girl, boy-boy, girl-girl or some combination therein.

Lorenzo

We were talking about gay marriage at breakfast today with the kids. Initially, the topic was about my older brother, who hinted to my mom the other day, that he might be gay and is thinking of bringing "Joe" with him when he comes home for a visit. My brother lives in another state and we haven't seen him for three years now. As far as we know, he doesn't have a girlfriend (after he broke up with the last one). Anyway, the kids were asking if it's okay to have a same-sex relationship when in fact, in school, they are taught that it's a big NO-NO. I told them that the times have changed and people have changed with it. We shouldn't judge, but learn to accept their choices.

My girls just nodded, but my ten-year old son said he will still follow what the Bible says.

Jatelo2

I'll wait for them to ask then simply give them my opinion on the matter. It doesn't matter whether my Idea would be considered as narrow-minded or politically incorrect by them. Since they asked they will be answered; but the Decision is their to make.