Who dishes out the discipline?

youngone

I am the one who disciplines my son when I have him but he's a good boy and we enjoy our time together so there isn't much need for strict discipline. I'm not sure how his mother disciplines him through the week, he stays with me at the weekend.

tommymac

I have always been of the mind that whoever catches the act dishes out the discipline. The worst torture in the world to me as a child was hearing the words "Wait until your father gets home!"

roncar

I'd say I'm firmer with our girls than my wife is. I think that since she and her first husband divorced, she feels she should not be so hard on the kids, sort of like making up for the fact that they had to go through that. So I'm mister mean when it comes to getting them to clean up their rooms and doing chores around the house more and not expecting me and their mother to do it. My wife will come down on them once in a while when she sees they're being too lazy, though.

Hedonologist

Whenever required by either parent. I've observed that fathers tend to discipline their sons strictly, and daughters less so. Mothers tend to discipline their daughters harshest, and sons less so.

JRDeep

We share the responsibly. I think it's important for both parents to step up to the plate and dish out some discipline. That way, you won't have the kids thinking they can do whatever they want, as long as daddy doesn't find out about it. They know they can't talk their mother into not telling me anything, because she'll be the one to rear them before I find out about it.

Jeremy Green

I also wanted to mention that sometimes my wife does the punishment as well. I don't want them to think that their mother will not discipline them if the misbehave. I think both parents should do this because it will let the child know that misbehaving doesn't go unpunished. Something simple like a spanking should do. Nothing too extreme because that can be counterproductive as well.

footballtim

When someone got mad, it was always my mom. When someone wanted to lay down the law, it was always my dad.

When someone slapped us in the face, it was always my mom. When someone had to give us an official spanking for doing something really bad, it was always my dad.

When someone wanted to lecture us on how to be better Christians, it was always my mom. When someone wanted us to do chores, it was always my dad.

At least we knew what to expect from both of them.