Who here would disown their children...

FrankSinatra

if they found out they were gay? Disown is a strong word so even look at them differently or not treat them the same because of your prejudice towards gays.

This happens all the time so let's see who will fess up and why?

writer811

Personally, I can't imagine a greater failure as a parent. I'm actually glad when it happens because a person who could disown their children over that isn't fit to be a legal guardian in my opinion. At least now the kid might find someone who loves and appreciates them. My family was very supportive when I came out as bisexual (Some of them even claimed they knew before I did) and took a lot of steps to make sure I knew they loved me. Unnecessary in my opinion, as I assume a decent human being wouldn't stop loving their kid for that.

Babar

If someone would disown their child over that, they are a bad parent, hands down. I can't imagine a very justified circumstance for disowning your offspring in the first place, but if there were, it would be because that child HARMED others, and being gay doesn't HARM anything (accept maybe a bigoted ego).

micromachne

I won't lie. I won't like the fact of my child being anything but straight.

BUT, I'm not going to disown my child. It's their life to live. And you have to understand to TREAT the child the same as well. You don't have to like what your children do, but you still have to love them the same.

polamalu43

I will love my kids no matter what they do, say, accomplish in life, or who they choose for a life partner. I can't imagine disowning my kids ever. If they become gay, so be it. As long as they are happy, I will be happy.

Dan

No I wouldn't disown them. I understand why some fathers do and I feel sorry for them and sorry for their kids but that wouldn't happen in my house.

micromachne

You know, we can all sit here and say we wouldn't. But it's easy to say and hard to do. Most of us won't know how we really handle ANY situation until it's literally put in our faces.

BigPapa

Being a parent means loving your children unconditionally. I am not prejudiced against any group of people. People are people, I don't judge them. I think that if you want to want to cast stones you should look at your own life first.

Victor Leigh

No, no way. My children are my children. For good or for bad. Whatever they do and whatever happens to them, they are still my children. I may get angry with them but I will never disown them. Never even remotely thought of the possibility.

JRDeep

Couldn't see myself disowning either one of my kids. I've never been one to make a big deal out of homosexuality. I understand why it's a big issue to people...But really, it shouldn't be an issue at all. I have yet to gather enough of a damn to give about who's gay or who isn't. Doubt my son coming out would change that

newguy

Not a chance!!! My child is my child regardless of who he or she loves and chooses to spend their life with. I would still be the father: giving the date the 3rd degree, making sure my child was treated with respect in the relationship and more

Bryant

I would never disown mychildren for any reason. I don't care who they love or why. They are my children and I will love them no matter what.

Lorenzo

I have uncles from both sides of the family who are gay, and a lesbian aunt. I never saw or heard my grandparents treat them differently because of their sexual preference. My brother, recently, hinted that he might be gay. My mom only said, nothing could shock her anymore.

So, if it were my kids, I don't see any reason why I should disown them. I love them unconditionally. And that's me being honest about it. Of course, I respect other people who think otherwise.

Jatelo2

The family bond is strangely strong. It can't be broken ever and so even those who claim to have disowned they children do so physically but are still attached to each other. Bottom line is that I wouldn't disown my children though it wont be business as usual if they were gay!

flfsurveyor

First of all, i do not have any prejudice towards homosexual people. I have good friends and relatives who are gay. Perhaps, that's the reason I have more understanding and tolerance towards them. The people children will expect to understand them would be their parents. It would be rather appalling for me if parents 'disown' their children on account of them being gay. Of course they will have to be more sensitive to the fact that a son, for example, would have 'girly' talk. All my kids grew up be to heterosexual but I wouldn't have much of concern if one or more of them decided to be gay, instead.

dreyz

It's ridiculous to disown just because of gender complex. You are the parent, and you bear full responsibility. He/she is your flesh and blood, and to disown just because you don't like how he/she turned out is just plain ridiculous.

Hedonologist

We all have our reasons and things we would disown for. I wouldn't disown them for being gay, but there are things I would disown them for,. In almost all circumstances, if they did something that I did not approve of then it would be down to my bad parenting and I would not disown them for it, but there are some areas where I would draw the line.

chea

Never. If it turns out your son is gay, it's not something they can change. I don't understand how a parent could disown a child for their sexual orientation. I think parents facing a situation like that need to step outside themselves and imagine what the child is going through and try to be supportive as possible.