Wife is vegetarian

Howard

Maintaining a healthy diet is a key part of managing pregnancy — but what if your wife is a vegetarian? Can she still get the right balance of nutrients for two?

KrazyRon

Yes, a vegetarian can but it is hard and they have to calculate the amount of protein they get in a day. She shouldn't skimp on protein or she could have trouble with loss of muscle and that includes muscle in organs of the body.

Howard

Yeah, I'm a bit uneasy about her nutrition. I think I will ask the doctor for some speicific guidelines about this during our next visit. This is nothing to mess with.

stayathomepaul

She can get enough nutrition but it is not as easy. I agree that she needs to keep some sort of food log. It might be hard on her so many you can help her keep track of the nutrients in what she eats.

Rey1970

I have heard that there are a lot of vegan products out there that are very high in protein. She must make sure to take her vitamins no skimping on that.

Salazar

My wife has been a vegetarian for 18 years and she had no problems when she was pregnant. Most vegetarians are pretty educated about the practice and know how to manage their diets.

proudpapa

Yes, I do think that vegetarians are much more aware of what they need. They are vegetarians because they aware of what they want and don't want in their body.

Cruise

Maintaining a healthy diet is a key part of managing pregnancy — but what if your wife is a vegetarian? Can she still get the right balance of nutrients for two?
I think she could. There are many alternative sources of protein to meat (like soy and nuts). And actually you don't need so much protein as you think you do.