Working around children

papabear

I am a work at home dad, and my daughter and friends have been here periodically during the summer. Any suggestions or tips to help these 2 situations co-exist more peacefully?

Caleb

Do you have an office? I would try to stick in it as much as possible during the work day. Perhaps you can work early in the morning when they are still sleeping and then have some time to do things with them too.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I am in the same situation. We did not put our daughter into school/day care for the summer, and with the wife being sick the past few weeks, I'm trying to keep her busy. The best I can do is put a movie on for her, but I do feel guilty about it. Her aunt takes her once in a while for us thankfully. I have resorted to getting work done early in the morning before she wakes up, or late at night, but I tend to get less amount of work done then I would during the day.

Lefty

Honestly, when the kids were little my first wife was a stay at home mom. When they got to the age the oldest could take care of the other two, she went to work. I would suggest though that you try to involve the little one in playing office when daddy is in the office. Give her pencils, paper and maybe an old computer keyboard to play with. That generally keeps them busy for a while.

Jessie

I am also in the same boat. It has been hard becuase for one week I have him the next I don't. I try the movie thing but, but he will watch for 10 minutes then be wanting to do something else. So a lot gets done one week and I get not a lot of sleep the next. But I wouldn't change it for anything!