Working overtime

Michael

I took this job because it let me take Fridays off. Now, the boss keeps wanting me to work not only Fridays, but some Saturdays as well. I have told him I need my time. Is it wrong for me to not want to be a slave to the job and to some boss's whims? I have one life.

flfsurveyor

Looks like your terms of engagement were not really clear at the onset. You may want to clarify this with your boss. Are these 'week-end' work due to a special or rush project that you are working on and have to finish? Or, are the tasks more like the routine Monday to Thursday stuff? If the latter, then really take it up with the boss. Then, seek other work that suits your needs.

micromachne

I'm with the poster above. It sounds like it's time you and your boss go over the terms of this contract of yours.

Did he KNOW what days you needed off before he hired you?

Andersson

Are you hourly or salary? I remember the days of OT but I always managed to have an amazing boss. Now keep in mind if your work revolves around projects that are due on certain days and you are not the one setting those dates (or the boss) its not really something you or the boss can control.

polamalu43

I would remind the boss that you took the job because of the long weekends. I would tell him that I am willing to work 2 Friday's a month but not on Saturday's. Just keep reminding him!

joeldgreat

For a start I think you didn't make it clear to your boss that one of the reason why you accepted the job is because of the long weekend. But boss are boss and I think they had the right to demand such extra work on Fridays and Saturdays. Maybe you need to compromise yourself again and meet halfway. Instead of making it every week working on these days, maybe you can ask that every other week on simply once a month. That way, both of you mill not ended up in bad relations as a boss and employee.

FrankSinatra

The key here is that you said it will "let" you take Fridays off...that doesn't sound like it was agreed upon that you were getting three day weekends every week to spend with your family. It sounds like if something arises you can have the day off, otherwise you are expected to work.

Foster

I think you need to talk to your boss about it, explain that Friday's off was a deal clincher in you taking the job. However if it says in your contract that you may have to work Friday's there isn't much you can do about it.

As other people have asked what are the reasons your boss is asking that you stay?

Sinbian

Bosses will be bosses. Their job is to think about the work. If you give in and let them exploit you they will do it. Stay strong and don't give in.

R. Paradon

I had been in high management and a business owner for many years. I have been guilty of "exploiting" my producers to work more hours but I always made it financially worth their while. If a person could not work more hours then was contractually correct then I would appreciate that as well. A boss should be a person and not a monster!

Explain to your employer your needs.

youngone

Of course it isn't wrong, Michael. Overtime is an option and you have a right to say no, you need to make a stand to your boss and tell him it doesn't suit you. I know how you are feeling, I only do overtime when it is absolutely necessary. I need time off for my sanity.

roncar

I just hope your boss isn't a jerk about this when you do explain that you want Fridays with your family. Some bosses would let people go over this, so I hope that won't be true in your case. Make sure to think long and hard about that first before talking with him.

GC856723

Honestly? No, there's nothing wrong with wanting time to yourself. Too much work can be a really, really bad thing. Not only does it take away from family time, but it can just really wear on you. So yeah, I'm with the above. Just clarify your stance, and stick to your guns. Me? Personally any overtime I could get my gruby paws on I would have taken. Not because I didn't enjoy my family time, but because we needed the money. Since the split with my son's mother, well... Yeah I still need the money, but who am I coming home to now? Exactly. My roommates... Nothing special.

Just make sure your boss has an understanding of your needs.

Don

What type of job is it? Did you discuss that you needed Friday off before you were hired? Is someone else calling in sick, or why are you having to work extra days?

CHenne

That stinks - plain and simple. Can you talk to your boss? Tell him that it was your agreement that you have Fridays off? Would you be at risk if you just said you couldn't work them anymore?

Bearsfan

I'm going to re-state what everyone else has been saying. You need to talk to your boss. If you haven't told him that you need tose days off, and you have said yes in the past to the overtime, he might think you are ok with it.