Would you buy a snake for a pet?

Don

My son is fascinated with snakes. He wants to use the money he has saved up to buy a small king snake. My wife is okay with it as long as she doesn't have to take care of it. Would you buy a snake for your son?

Timothy

I would consider it if my son were old enough to take care of a pet. My son isn't though, so the answer in my house today would be no. However, if he were old enough to really be responsible for a pet, I'd consider a snake so long as it didn't get very big and we could find an aquarium large enough to be a humane living environment.

BigPapa

I wouldn't be against a snake for my daughter if she wanted one. However, like Timothy said, she would have to be old enough to take care of it and make sure it didn't get out of the aquarium.

Don

Well, we bought a book on snakes this weekend and I researched them a bit on the Internet. It appears that a king snake should be a good "starter" snake as long as it is picked up and handled on a regular basis.

Victor

I wouldn't buy one because neither my wife nor I are comfortable with taking care of a snake. Many snakes live a long time too, so it's a big commitment.

Sinbian

Perhaps. It depends on how ready and educated he is to take care of it. Why not indulge your son if he's been good. I on the other hand would never buy such pet.

Andersson

I think it depends on what type of snake along with how old and responsible the son is. We had a few reptiles when the kids were younger but no snakes, the wife would never allow it since she has a fear of them.