Would you consider an abortion if it would help your spouse?

writer811

Is there ever a time when you would support your spouse if she wanted to get an abortion? Say there's a good chance that your child will miscarry or say it's already dead in the womb. Or what if having the baby would be dangerous to your wife/girlfriend for whatever reason? Or another scenario? Personally, I don't see zygotes and fetuses as human beings so I'm much more likely to be ok with it but what about those of you who aren't? What would it take to push to that point?

Dan

I was brought up that a fetus is a life but my wife doesn't have the same opinions so since it's her body and I value her life and love I'd go with what is best for her.

micromachne

This is tough. If there is a great chance of a miscarriage then I probably wouldn't be against her aborting. But even then, I don't know. There are plenty of circumstances that play a part as to whether I'd agree or not.

Babar

I always compare the abortion issue to baking a cake. If you have flour, sugar, eggs and oil sitting on the counter, is that a cake? Of course not; those are just the ingredients for a cake...it is just a "potential" cake. It is only when it's been cooking in the oven for an hour and you have a finished product that it's a cake. Likewise with babies.

FrankSinatra

I always compare the abortion issue to baking a cake. If you have flour, sugar, eggs and oil sitting on the counter, is that a cake? Of course not; those are just the ingredients for a cake...it is just a "potential" cake. It is only when it's been cooking in the oven for an hour and you have a finished product that it's a cake. Likewise with babies.

So it isn't a cake until it's edible...just like babies!

writer811

Thank you all for your insight and staying calm and rational about it. I was worried when I posted this I would be opening myself up to a flame war but I'm glad we can be level-headed.
It pleases me to see that everyone cares enough about their wives enough to support them if having a baby would be dangerous to their lives. You have to understand, I grew up in an area where even a woman carrying a dead fetus would be horribly frowned upon if she got an abortion. No one even cared if it would save her life or not, it's all the same in their eyes. It got so bad that in one case a woman wanted to get an abortion because her doctor said there was a high chance of miscarriage. Her husband beat her for it and when she went to the police they didn't investigate or anything, citing a lack of evidence (Apparently the bruises on her face and body weren't admissable evidence). Everyone should be more like you people.

Bear

I would never encourage my wife to continue a pregnancy that would endanger her life though I woould suppor her decision (and pray every second) if that was what she decided to do. I do not like the idea of abortion, but I like the idea of losing my wife and the mother of my children a whole lot less!

writer811

I would never encourage my wife to continue a pregnancy that would endanger her life though I woould suppor her decision (and pray every second) if that was what she decided to do. I do not like the idea of abortion, but I like the idea of losing my wife and the mother of my children a whole lot less!
I wholeheartedly agree. That's why it makes me so mad when people insist on demonizing people who get an abortion, even to save the mother's life. I read in the news that multiple states are trying make abortions illegal even for dangerous pregnancies. It makes me so furious!

Foster

My wife runs a pregnancy support forum and this kind of post would cause huge controversy there.

My opinion on this is that if the pregnancy/fetus etc could cause harm to my wife then I would support an abortion. I know many people may not see it this way but we can try for another baby if she has to abort, if she carries on and something happens she can't be replaced. I know that may sound harsh but I'm sure people understand.

joeldgreat

Hi, I am against abortion but these are the few things that I will say - its okay to have one. If I am told by a doctor that to continue to have a baby would mean the difference between life and death on my spouse, then I would not hesitate to agree for her to undergo an abortion process. For the same reason that I already with my wife for longer periods of time and losing her in exchange for the baby is something I can't forgive myself for as long as I live.

ghanashyam

There is no question of going ahead with the pregnancy if the chances of complication at the later stage are well expected. In majority of cases, such complications can be detected with sonography at the first trimester and doctors, themselves, would advise the incumbent of what could be done.
Yes, I will advise to terminate the pregnancy ( that is better than being called abortion) in such cases.

R. Paradon

If going full term will be dangerous to the mother and or the child then of course abortion is the valid answer. However if it is just so there is not another mouth to feed I don't think it is right.

Victor Leigh

I don't really know. I never had faced a situation where I had to choose between aborting my child or losing my wife. I suppose, if it comes to that, it will have to be a joint decision because it's as much her child as it is mine.

JRDeep

It would be rough, but I'd try and support my old lady the best I could. If she thought it would be for the best, given the circumstances mapped out in this thread, I'd be behind her all the way.

Jatelo2

I'm a conservative and will only support abortion in cases where a qualified medical doctor has stated that my wife's life is in danger. I can get another child but not another wife easily! But in a case where there is no sufficient medical proof of an impending danger, I would simply oppose abortion!