Would you do this?

Jdrake

My wife wants to go on a vacation next month. The problem is that I do not have a sufficient vacation fund saved up for it yet due to some debt that had to be paid off. She thinks we can put it on a credit card, but then we would just be back in debt. Will you go in debt for a vacation?

Salazar

It depends on how much and how long it would take me to pay it back. For example, if I knew I could have a $4,000 vacation paid off in a year, yea, I would do that.

Mark

I think you should only go into debt for vacation if you think your family really needs it. Otherwise, it's just going to become another stressor and make life harder. If you can pay it off quick, then it should be fine.

Daddy_Dearest

I wouldn't go on vacation if it puts me in a tight financial position. However, if it is because we really need it as a family, we would have a conversation about it, and maybe go for something that is not too expensive or maybe for less time.

JakeJ

It's tempting to take the vacation and pay later, especially if you have cleared previous debts. Personally I would prefer to save that money and then pay upfront. I would find it easier to relax when away, knowing it was paid in full.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Only if I could pay it off within 6 months. 3 would be better. My idea of a vacation though is sitting in a kayak and fishing. Then sending the wife to a day spa. So I guess I'm cheap.

stepdad

I know that I would and I have. That's why we're in debt now and have no credit card anymore. I do not recommend it because you don't know that you can pay it off. What would happen if you lost your income?

proudpapa

I actually couldn't do it, I like to pay for everything with cash. It drives my wife crazy, but I figure that if I don't have the cash then I don't need it. I don't want to end up broke like my parents when I'm trying to retire.

Howard

I would not be able to enjoy myself on the vacation and it would just create tension for me. I guess it would depend on what kind of money would be involved.

stayathomepaul

Is there anyway that you could downsize the vacation so that it will be more affordable. How about not going more than 3 hours from home and doing some camping? Would that work?