Would you step in?

Maxsdad

I went to pick up my nephew from baseball practice last week and I did not like the way his coach was yelling at him and a couple of other kids. I watched him for about 10 minutes – I could see the boys getting pretty beat down. They are from the ages of 8-11, so not too old. I was not there to see what caused the coach to act this way but 10 minutes of literally screaming at these young boys was too much. I spoke up ~ I know it wasn’t my place but he is my nephew. I walked right up to the field and asked my nephew what was going on and if he was ok? The coach stopped yelling and started to talk to me. I said let’s go to my nephew – he was pretty quiet on the way home. He said that he did not do anything but miss a few balls that were hit in his direction. My question is what is wrong with these coaches? These boys are young and impressionable, my nephew told his dad that night that he wanted to quit. My brother will be speaking to the coach. I thought my brother might be upset that I stepped in but he wasn’t. Would you have done this too? You should have seen my nephew – he looked like he lost his best friend!

Mel

If something really didn't seem right about the situation, then it probably was not right. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts, especially where it appears children are being verbally abused by an out of control adult.

PeterPater

I agree with Mel. You did the right thing and your nephew will be grateful for that. The coach sounds like he should be retiring. Perhaps he has things on his mind but at the end of the day he needs to encourage and support the kids.