Would you take your 11-year old to....

Scooter

Would you take your 11-year old to a WWE wrestling match? My son has been begging me to take him, and I want to take him. However, his mother things it is a bad idea. What do you think?

Bear

I think it sounds like a good opportunity to have some father/son time together. Why is your wife so opposed to your son attending?

kreso93

I wouldn't mind that my dad took me to it when I was a kid. It's a good opportunity for father-son time :)

Timothy

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking him to the match, so long as he's mature enough to understand that it's all for show. However, if you can't get your wife on board, I wouldn't do it. Why does she think it's a bad idea?

sreekumar

You try to remember what have been your memorable occasions with your own dad when you were a child and if you remember a particular occasion it indicates how it appealed to you that time. You will get an idea what are the pleasant occasions which last in the minds of younger kids and may some times influence them too.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I used to be into it when I was young. Still remember some of the characters like the Junk yard dog. I went to an event once and had a ball, I was about 20 at the time. I've lost interested, but it was not bad back then. Nothing to worry about, except maybe some adult language if people are rowdy next to you.

Lieutenant

As others have said its a great bonding moment for the two of you. Most kids understand that it is fake and that they shouldn't try it at home on their siblings. If your unsure tell him that it isn't safe to do at home. I know from other threads you wanted to be more involved in your future children's lives so here is a great chance. :) I hope you take it and run with it.

Victor Leigh

I think it's alright. One suggestion. It might be a good idea to have some kind of briefing before you go. Kind of like letting your son know that it's all a performance. And also remind him not to try it when he gets home. Just in case.

Scooter

She thinks that it Wrestling is too violent and that it is going to teach him bad things. I don't quite see it the same way. I hope I can talk her in to it because I think it would be a really good bonding experience.

encryptedbytes

I say yeah - go for it, but be sure that your boy understands that what they are seeing it not "real". It's more like television and the movies where people are playing characters in order to tell a story and entertain an audience. Also, he should understand the the people they are watching are basically professional stunt men and that the things they do are very real, quite dangerous, and should not be tried at home.

Timothy

She thinks that it Wrestling is too violent and that it is going to teach him bad things. I don't quite see it the same way. I hope I can talk her in to it because I think it would be a really good bonding experience.
Does your wife know that in WWE that they're not really fighting? Maybe you could try using an analogy to get her on board - tell her that WWE wrestling is no different than watching a fight in a movie, because one person is being paid to win the fight and the other person is being paid to lose the fight. They're taught how to stage the fight beforehand to make it look real, even though it really isn't. Let her know that all the moves are choreographed and both wrestlers know the outcome before the match even begins.

Hope this helps and you get to see the match!

R. Paradon

It is a fun event. Perhaps the first time you could take her with you. Even if she watched one match on TV she would have to know it is all phony! Not even as violent as a lot of kids cartoons! Good luck!

Victor Leigh

Just an idea. It might be good to take the wife along, too. So that she can see for herself, first-hand, that it's all entertainment.

JoshTheBoss

She needs to relax and realize that boys will be boys.
I don't mean that rudely, but come on, it's fake wrestling. They look at the crowd, run into a rope, and do some clotheslines. Hey it can't be that bad, only one guy has ever died from it. :D

polamalu43

Heck yes I would. Of course you explain to your son that the WWE wrestlers are just entertainers. I don't think it would be too violent at all. Keep working on your wife.

JoshTheBoss

I say yeah - go for it, but be sure that your boy understands that what they are seeing it not "real". It's more like television and the movies where people are playing characters in order to tell a story and entertain an audience. Also, he should understand the the people they are watching are basically professional stunt men and that the things they do are very real, quite dangerous, and should not be tried at home.
The bolded is a great point. They are stunt men AND this it is dangerous, but to say it's not "real" will probably disappoint him a lot (fighting is genetically ingrained, don't bother FIGHTING it, haha).

themdno

It may be hard to make her see what you and him could get out of it, but I'm with everybody else, it's a great way to spend some time with your son. One thing you could point out to her, is that all WWE shows are rated PG now.

Also, as a kid, I associated the violence in wrestling with the violence in cartoons. It was entertainment violence, I guess. I watched Tom and Jerry cartoons a lot as a kid, and I never tried anything I saw on their either.

micromachne

I'm not totally sure if I would or not. If this was back in the 80's then yeah I would. But the WWE is very different from what it was back then. Like they had this thing where people had to kiss Vince Mcmahon's ass LITERALLY or times where Sable showed off her cleavage. I'm not sure if I want the child to see that stuff at 11.

Even though truth be told, kids are more than likely to see that stuff anyway. But that's from going behind the parent's back. Not the parent WILLINGLY showing it lol.

Ravenfan

As long as you set the expectations for your child ahead of time, as others have said, I don't see an issue with it. I went when I was around that age when I was growing up. Yes the stunts are a little more extreme and some of the entertainment is more adult, but in the end your child will probably view the adult stuff as humorous. As long as he doesn't emulate the stunts, I think it could be a great bonding night of fun.