yardwork

Andersson

I guess we have always been old fashion a little bit, when the kids were growing up we would always head out one day for the weekend and take care of the large yard. Most of it was fun and games but we did get a little work done and everyone got exercise. :)

newguy

I am actually the same way for pretty much the same reasons but also it teaches the little rug rats a little about responsibility. They know that if there was no work done that week there is no allowance. I'm old fashioned there too...they don't get money for nothing!

Of course when it's snow I have no problem...when it's summer they'd rather be doing ANYTHING else...

Andersson

Too many kids right now have no idea what responsibility is or how it benefits them int he long run. I think money should come from something above and beyond what is expected, everyone in the home should be expected to take care of their own and ask for help if they need it. Over what they should do then we can talk about tips. :)

Kyp

Before my son was too young to help with yardwork, I would just do it all. I never picked a specific day, just whatever day worked the best for me. Now, sometimes my son will mow the lawn and weedwack the entire yard while I am off at work. I love it when he does that! It makes me very proud.

Michael

I'm the sole yardworker in our family. My father used to expect me to come do his lawn, which was enormous, just because I was his son. I never understood that, but sometimes I would go and just do it.

micromachne

I can't do that unfortunately. It's not that I can't do yard work. It's that I hate yard work. We do it, but only because we have to every year to keep the yard looking nice. If it was up to me, our yard would have been concreted in long ago.

Bear

I love it when the yard looks nice, and most of the year I don't mind getting out there and taking care of it. This time of year though it is my least favorite thing to do in the world. How can the grass possibly grow so much when we have barely been getting any rain?!?

R. Paradon

I can't do that unfortunately. It's not that I can't do yard work. It's that I hate yard work. We do it, but only because we have to every year to keep the yard looking nice. If it was up to me, our yard would have been concreted in long ago.
I also hate yard work...had to do it when I was a kid but when I was on my own I either had colored gravel or hired a gardener to take care of my yard.

Now here in Thailand I live in a owner maintained apartment in the city and my other home is in the jungle so I don't worry about it at all!

Andersson

No one really likes doing chores but its not like the chore fairy is going to show up and do them for is, right? The way I see it is if you can tackle a little a day sooner than you thnk the entire list will be done. :)

FrankSinatra

Absolutely...I didn't have children and make the commitment to feed and clothe them for 18+ years without getting a return on my investment. Get out there and work!

Babar

That sounds like a great idea to teach kids responsibility and get things done while still having fun. My kids have always been fond of mowing the lawn and the like, so there are no issues here.