Your own business

Anthony

Have you ever thought of opening your own business? I have had my own business in the past, and there is a lot to be said for working for yourself. If it was not for the family's insurance needs I would probably still have my own business. If you could start a business what would it be?

Kenny

I have never had my own business, but I would love to work for myself. If I could I would probably open a night club or a bar.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I do. And it is a huge headache most of the time. It is hard not having a steady source of income either. But other times it is great, I took off last week to attend my daughters school's Thanksgiving feast. I have a flexible schedule. But there are nights that I'm missing out on spending times with the kids, and I've pulled a few over nights with no sleep to get something fixed, or some work done that I couldn't do during the day.

Insurance, and benefits are the worst. Almost thinking about a part time job again to get them. Having to deal with insurance companies has put them ahead of any other group for being disliked, even hated by me.

KevinD

I read an article about a guy who started his own business as a poop scooper for people's pets. He has a client list and he goes to each house on a schedule and picks up the poop. The crazy part is he claims to be making nearly a six figure income. I don't think I'd enjoy picking up dog poop, but making that kind of money in my own business sounds great.

Mel

Hey, everyone has their niche I guess. My grandparents had their own business---I remember my grandmother telling me "It's always better to work for someone else".

crowl

You really need to weigh the options before you jump right in, some people have done this before while using their savings as capital and then the business flops. Someone is then out of a job, out of a business and more than likely in debt.

Jack

Some huge percentage of small businesses fail within 2 years, so it is a big decision that really requires quite a bit knowledge and careful planning.

chelly

I think if you have a good business model, plan that can adjust (not set in stone), the funds to start it and the work ethic to push it through that is the first step. Something that people tend to forget is the work involved with keeping it up.