10 Month Old

Betterman

I'm running out of ideas for entertaining our 10 month old. Lately is seems like all he wants is to be held. As soon as you put him down he starts screaming. Any suggestions?

Enrique

Did you check if he's teething? Most infants (and kids) want to be held if they are experiencing some sort of pain or discomfort, and at 10 months, teething is a common cause. It could also be just a phase. If it persists, though, maybe it's time you have your baby seen by a pediatrician.

Victor

I agree with Enrique; if it's sudden it's likely to be pain, although it could also be emotional anxiety if you or your wife are away a lot or the baby is having nightmares.

Betterman

We're both home with him all day. Although, my wife does work on the computer a lot and she has just finished weaning him off of breast milk. Do you think that might be something to do with it? I swear the kid has been teething since he was 3 months old.

uhoh

Usually this is just habit. The child has the habit of letting you entertain him. Sometimes, you just have to let the child cry. Give them some toys or try other things that may distract them, like music, and give them a few minutes to realize that you are not going to pick them up.

Victor

We're both home with him all day. Although, my wife does work on the computer a lot and she has just finished weaning him off of breast milk. Do you think that might be something to do with it? I swear the kid has been teething since he was 3 months old.
Oh yes, weaning can lead to very clingy behavior as it's a big adjustment for the baby. I bet if you go with it and give him extra cuddles for now, he should calm down within a few weeks.

Bear

If the baby is teething or going through a growth spurt they can get clingy like that. My son is 13 months old and he still wants to be held a lot. I enjoy it though because I know it won't last much longer. My oldest is three and she isn't about to let anyone hold her. You are lucky if you get a hug and a kiss!

Betterman

Well, about a month later and he has calmed down quite a bit. We've moved into a new apartment, too, and he has better access to his play area.