Adopting a family

Kenny

Our family has decided to adopt a family for Christmas since there are so many needy families in the area. We are struggling ourselves, but thought this would be a great thing to do. Has anyone else done this before?

Ed35

Yes, we do it every year too. It's great fun for the kids! They get to see that there are families that are struggling and it teaches them something about money. I say Bravo to you and your family!

CHenne

We actually pull names off the trees and buy for kids each year. I've never adopted a whole family. I think that would be too hard. Money is tight for us too. The kids love to buy gifts for the other kids.

bighelp

I never even knew you could adopt an entire family before, how does it work? We do a thing tied in with our work companies so each pay check has a charity fund that a % is dropped off for, we see it on every stub. The main company who handles it all donates to all charities within the tri-state.

Anthony

Oh, this is awesome! We have never done a family completely on our own, but have worked with groups or other families to do this. Bighelp- if it is something you are interested in you could contact your local Salvation Army, the Department of Family and Children, or the local chapter of Toys for tots. Churches in your area may also have a list of families as well. There are a LOT of families that could use some help this year. I just dropped off a ton of gently worn winter clothes from my kids to go for some of these families as well.

Fatherof2

We have done this before and I am sure we will again. This year we are so strapped for cash we are just going to donate some toys to Toys for Tots.

strongenough

We have done this in the past and it's a great program. We do like to do this to show the kids that there is something else besides receiving gifts that is special about the holidays, though I wish people would do things like this year round.

PatrickK

Our family has decided to adopt a family for Christmas since there are so many needy families in the area. We are struggling ourselves, but thought this would be a great thing to do. Has anyone else done this before?
Is there a website or something for the program you are going through? We really want to do that this year but I don't know where to go to do that. I am also curious about how much it costs to do something like that.