Alternatives to daycare?

tomartin07

First time poster, and first time dad here. My situation is kinda unique (or not) in the sense that I'm not married to the mother of my child, and we're not getting married. Anyways, I'm trying to prepare for the birth of my child by looking at daycare centers, but with my income, and her unstable income, it's kind of hard to find one that's within our budget. Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to daycare centers? So far everyone I've found is about $1300/month. My parents never put me in daycare center I know, so there has to be alternatives that are just as healthy and safe for kids. Ideas are greatly appreciated, and I'm sure I'll be posting quite a bit in the coming months as I get ready to become a dad for the first time (not gonna lie, scared out of my mind)

Bear

You can look into in home childcare and that might be a little less expensive than an actual center. However, a lot of people won't take newborns so you need to be looking now. You may want to consider applying for state funded help paying for daycare. I don't know about everywhere, but here they will pay anywhere from 1/2 to all of it for you.

youngone

Whether you are married or not doesn't really matter. You don't need to be married to be a good Dad. As for childcare options - are there any family members who could help you out? Grandparents are great for day care :).

ghanashyam

I do not think any day care would accept the child not older than 3 months, since they feel it is too risky, I do not know what are legal stipulations in your country. Whether the elders of your family or the child's family can help you? Though, it is bitter to state here,I venture to say you could have better planned this long before.

Victor

Actually, many daycare centers will accept babies at 6 weeks, since that is the standard time for maternity leave here. I don't know if home daycares will though. I would reach out to relatives or for state aid if your income is low. You will find some way to make it work, I know.

Ghanashyam, it's a little late to say he should've planned better. We need to move forward from this point with helpful suggestions.

BigPapa

I would look into a nanny. We looked into this before we made the decision that I would work from home. We found someone who was willing to work with us on hours and pay. If you go to somewhere like Care.com you can find nannies in your local area that have had background checks and see their resumes and references up front.

meowcow

First of all congratulations, and good luck! I take it that leaving the child with either of your grandparents is out of the question? If it is, then you might want to look into getting some hired help to go to your house and that might turn out to be cheaper since you will be providing all of the other materials and tools needed. Just make sure you do your due diligence in looking into the background of who you're hiring. If possible, just hire a family member so you can trust him or her a lot more and not have to worry while you are at work.

Andersson

Some day care centers just cost too much. There is a lady in our area who redid her home to a center and only to watch a child for about 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon (providing no food, only transportation to school and back) costs $50/per day.

Niceness8000

Personally, i would lean to one of you saying at home with your child, and the other one paying the bills. I know you said that you aren't planning to get married, but I personally don't like the idea of someone other than the parents caring so much for my kids. I believe you can make it work if you decide that one of you will stay home. Heck - the other parent can start a blog or something and make money while the child is asleep.

Bear

Daycares will accept children as young as 6 weeks (legally they can't take them younger than that), and most home daycares are willing to take one or two babies that young. Just make sure that the daycare you choose is licensed and that everyone is CPR and first aid certified. Ask people you know with kids what they do. Again look into getting some assistance if you need it.