Another layoff

polamalu43

We just had another layoff at work. Totally not known about! A guy in my department got it this time. Last layoff we lost 2. I just don't know what upper management is thinking! Cutting us worker bee's - the work load doesn't go away when you make cuts.

youngone

The same is happening at my brother's job. There has been a big layoff and he has been told to expect even more cuts in the next few months. He should be able to hold onto his job but it is worrying.

My Dad's job is under threat as well. It is a small company and they are really struggling to make profit.

FrankSinatra

The company doesn't need the work to go away they just need to save money and cutting tens of thousands from a salary and benefits will do the trick. Now the rest of you are so scared to get fired that you will work twice as hard for the same pay.

joeldgreat

It is because "lay-off" is the easiest way to cut the cost in a company. It is often the once being abused by the employers. I mean, there are lots of other things in which a company can cut the cost. If a company really wanted to cut the cost, one should not pinpoint its fingers to the employees but rather implement a cost-cutting programs that will benefit all.

If its employees, then why not lay-off one manager first his/her salary is mostly equivalent to 3 to 5 employees.

roncar

My company is going under fast, and they brought it upon themselves. When the economy was good and money was pouring in, all the partners were living high off the hog by staying at the most expensive hotels while traveling, using company money to buy themselves expensive cars, getting lunch catered to the office every day, using company money for their own personal expenses...just blowing money left and right, not putting much back into the business or saving for a rainy day.

Well, it ain't just raining now...it's pouring! They've already made cuts in pay to all their employees, including me, and recently took away our medical benefits. It's such BS and could have been avoided had they managed their money better. I've been looking for another job for months now, but it's slim pickin's out there, as many of you know.

ghanashyam

Here India is running very fast. The companies are making profit and there are lot many ads in paper about new vacancies especially in service sector like Call Centers and Automobiles Maintenance and Insurance Sector. Want to come here. Labor is very cheap here.

polamalu43

We will be talking about the division of his duties this week. I just think it's crazy! We are already overworked. Our to do lists don't ever go away. They don't really care so much about the quality of our work anymore they are going for quantity.

BigPapa

That is really crappy Polamalu and it makes me really glad that I work for myself. I don't ever have a shortage of work because people are always going to be using their computers. If they have jobs, then they need them for work and if they need work, they need them for job searches and resume writing. I hope that they don't pile too much more work on you.

Bear

I'm sorry to hear that Polamalu. Things are tough all over and I know I have seen countless news articles about companies doing the same thing yours is. Frank is exactly right they just want less people to do more work. When Obamacare kicks in fully, I imagine a lot of companies will either lay off more people or simply stop providing health insurance as a benefit.

Bryant

I hope that you don't get laid off as well Polamalu. That stinks that now you and your co-workers will be forced to take on even more work, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you aren't going to be compensated for it are you?

polamalu43

Of course not! Why pay us more? When you talk about raises they just say "You should be happy to have a job". Sure thing, but what about my sanity. I have been working longer hours too.