Argument

Ed35

We are having a family argument at my house. My wife wants to take my daughter out of school early this Friday to go Christmas shopping and spend the day together. I don’t think it’s a good reason to get out of school early. My daughter is a Straight A student but I still think it’s a bad idea. My son is asking why he can’t get out so we can have a day together (playing video games)… I’m like ummm No. He struggles with his grades. My wife said it might be a reason for him to do better in school – if he knew he could get out from time to time early and do fun things. I still say no. Of course it’s not only my choice.

Paranoid

I think taking kids out of school to do something fun is fine on occasion if they are getting good grades. I take the kids out to do activities every couple months and I don't see a problem with it. I would say no to the child who is struggling in school though. Good grades = more privileges.

Gilbo

Random occasions are okay and I understand it but keep in mind some schools are very strict when it comes to having non-sick days. I know someone who had a huge battle tried to skip the last three days of school for a vacation they were doing.

Luke

I agree with your wife. I don't see it as a big deal for your daughter to miss a day of school, and it's important for mom and daughter to spend some time together. Just like it is important for you to spend some time with your son alone.

Strongarm

Tell your son he can get a day off if he gets his grades up. It's really not a big deal. I mean kids go to school for 12+ straight years and then 4 more years of college. It's not going to hurt to miss some days of textbook learning.

Phillie

I'm with everyone else on this. Good grades = fun times. If he gets his grades up then he can take an occasional day off to do something fun. Please let it be something other then shopping.

Blake

Having the occasional day off is important to your child's sanity, in my opinion. Even an adult gets to take days off work. One day is not going to turn her into a poor student. What is the worst that could happen?

Thompson

We call them mental health days around here, and everyone needs one sometimes. I agree with the others here that it is not a big deal to miss a day of school. If your son gets his grades up he can have a fun day off too.