Be there for them.

footballtim

One of the worst things a father (or mother) can do is to not be there to comfort their child when they are hurting. The best thing a father can do for his child is to be there for them.

If your child is going through problems, you should take the time out of your busy day and sit and converse with them.

My late father did this. That is one way I know that he loved me. This does not mean that he and I always agreed on solutions to problems, (I believe in violence against bullies, he did not), but he was always there to listen and to try and help.

chea

Exactly, man. Most parents don't understand how crucial it is to be there for their
kids - especially early in life. I think the amount of support children have from their parents is extremely important.

youngone

My Dad has his faults like all parents but he has always been there for me when I have needed him most. I think it's important to be there when your children are experiencing problems. It's also important to encourage your children to express how they feel, so you know when something is wrong.

tommymac

Even if your kids aren't going through tough times at school, you should still set aside time every day to sit down and talk with them.

roncar

I do try to be there for my girls as much as possible. My father wasn't close to me and my brothers growing up. So I try to remember this when I feel too tired to hang out with them. I want them to remember me with fondness as they get older.

Lorenzo

Fathers indeed need to be available for their kids, not just in moments of sadness, but just as importantly, in moments of great joy. I remember my dad being there for me at all times. It wasn't important that he was not able to give me what I wanted sometimes (in terms of material things) but the times he spent with me, were priceless.