Brake job

Phillie

I was driving my car yesterday and some crazy driver pulled right out in front of me, so I slammed on my brake. I broke a brake line in the process. I don’t have the time to fix the line myself – busy week and putting in Overtime to get Friday off to camp. I took it to shop last night. They called today - $145 to fix 1 line but they want me to get both lines fixed! Wowsa…. Talk about big out of pocket expense.

Cruise

Wow, I hate it when I have to spend a lot of money on unnecessary expenses like that. It sounds like it's the crazy driver who is responsible for the expense.

youngdad

Brake work is so expensive. That's a lot pf money to put out for two lines. Why do they want you to replace both if only one is broken? Is it just that they like to replace both regardless of the condition of the second line?

Phillie

You know I wondered the same thing - why would they need to do both? I decided that I could find the time to do it myself (after I told my wife the price). I worked on it tonight and I will finish tomorrow night.

syboken

They may want you to get both lines fixed now to avoid having this issue happen again on the 2nd one. If I remember correctly, doesn't the pressure of a hard stop end up deteriorating the 2nd line at the same time the 1st snaps back?

CHenne

Wow, I'm glad you could fix it yourself. I pretty much do all my own work on the vehicles if I can. I will make time to save $300.

I don't think the 2nd line automatically snaps when the first one does - I don't even know if it deteriorates.