Cause for Misunderstanding

forgotten

Some partners come into a partnership together with their own children. Doesn't this cause some kind of rivalry, jealousy and eventually misunderstanding between the two partners?

daddyJoe

I'm a big believer in talking to kids to help them understand a situation. I think explaining in the beginning that they are going to be a family, that each step-parent loves all of them, etc. might go a long way to avoiding some of the problems that might come up.

Wilbur

A couple with no kids has tons to talk about before making a commitment, let alone people who bring kids into the relationship. I think all aspects of raising the children need to be discussed. If there are issues that the parents don't see eye to eye on, they need to hash that out prior to blending the two families.

SeaUrchin

Amen to that. I've seen dissension over child care issues more than anything else. The rules need to be spelled out before the marriage and they all, including the children, need to know what they are and what everyone will expect to happen.

Steve

I agree with you all! The children all need to know the rules and follow them. The key is to be on the same page as your wife also. If we do not agree we wait until the children are sleeping and discuss it.

WillyWonka

Yeah, you sure don't want the kids to overhear a talk about discipline or other child care issues. That's the quickest way to turn stepkids against their stepparent. It's a tough situation sometimes.