Child Support is hurting me

bray2160

I was ordered to pay $540 in child support for my son almost 18 months ago. Over that time, I haven't had steady income. I desperately need this reduced but I don't really know what my options are....

My sons mom didn't go to Child Support on me, she's receiving public assistance and because she gets medical insurance for my son, Child Support came after me.

I've always provided for my son. I'm not looking for a way out. My Ex and I split custody of my son 50/50. I'm very active in his life. It would literally kill me if I wasn't able to be in his life. I don't want to end up in jail over child support that I owe. My payments are up to date but it's a real struggle. What can i do?

Bear

You are going to have to go back to court and explain things to the judge. There are a LOT of people struggling with this right now. You may need to get an attorney which unfortunately costs more money. If you talk to the child support agency do not take their word for ANYTHING. Get everything in writing with signatures. I know people whose child support was "amended" that later ended up in jail with fines and suspended licenses because they couldn't prove it.

Victor

I agree that you will need to talk to a lawyer and see if anything can be done. Perhaps there is some sort of hardship clause in the child support laws of your state.

I would've thought that since you have 50/50 custody, you wouldn't need to pay child support.

Good luck!

Lieutenant

As others have said you can go to court and plead with the judge. The problem is the judge will look at it and say that the child needs that money to survive. I know it can be hard right now since you don't have a steady job but keep your head up and keep looking for one.

Donald

Have you considered getting a better paying job? How about taking two jobs? A reconciliation with the wife might be an idea. I'm old school, and I believe parents need to take care of their children. We had it tough growing up, but my mom and dad found a way to do it. My upbringing would have me doing anything before I asked someone else for assistance. That includes taxpayers. Heck, my dad did four jobs at one point.

encryptedbytes

It has been my experience that child support agencies and judges care very little about any hardship you may have and won't hesitate to throw you in jail over unpaid child support (causing you to owe even more!). You can petition the court for a change in the order, but don't get your hopes up too high that it will work out. My best advice is to find a (legal) way to make some additional income and get that child support paid.

In the meantime, reduce your expenses. Use coupons, use less energy, get rid of services that you don't need. Call the cable and phone companies and ask them what your options are to reduce your bill. Make a budget so you can see where all of your money is going, look at the major expenses and come up with way to reduce them. A penny saved is a penny earned!

polamalu43

You know there is a way to figure out what you can pay for child support. Can you put your children on your health insurance? If you can, this will lower the payment. Your wife needs to try to get off assistance, this way they will lower your payment too. Is $540 a monthly payment for you or a paycheck payment? Your employer is supposed to do the calculation and figure out if the payment is too high. I would check with your payroll department as a first step.

encryptedbytes

Your wife needs to try to get off assistance...
Unfortunately, between income from child support, public aid, and other assistance, and the cost of daycare and healthcare, there is little no incentive for many people to get off the public payroll, leaving the child support payee to suffer much of the hardship.

Andersson

Unfortunately, between income from child support, public aid, and other assistance, and the cost of daycare and healthcare, there is little no incentive for many people to get off the public payroll, leaving the child support payee to suffer much of the hardship.
No there is not. I just heard from a friend of the family that a great nephew had a similar issue, he was overseas (serving of all things) and his child's mother went after him. He knew nothing about it until after the tour ended (was over two years). He did not have the funds and she asked the courts if he does not pay to sign over rights as a parent. I do not know the entire story but this is one gal who is milking the system and it burns me up seeing people get away with it.

polamalu43

Its sick when people milk the system. I do think that a lot of single moms don't milk the system. The cost of child care and health care is crazy. If you are single and don't have a great paying job, your whole paycheck would go for those 2 items.

meowcow

Get a lawyer, and start looking for other streams of income. There are a lot especially online. Some of them may just be cents for now, but when you learn more about it you will find out that you can do a lot with it. Be open to new opportunities and be resilient. You can get through this. Good luck!

Godric

Bray, you can either try to convince the judge if they can give you some sort of an arrangement or go look for a part time job. Either of those two will be very difficult but it is something a father needs to do it support his son right?

Kina

Depending on your state you options are limited. The best thing you can do is talk to an attorney. Most states allow child support adjustments only once every three years.