Counting

Steve

My son knew how to count to 10 by the time he was 2 and then he stopped. He wouldn't count for us at all. And at 3 1/2 claimed he couldn't. Why would he go from know to not and refusing? How am I going to get him in kindergarten if he won't count?

Richard

That is a difficult situation! Have you tried to find out why he thinks he can't count? Perhaps he has memorized 1-10 but isn't sure he understands what the numbers actually mean...so many kids memorize the ABC's but have no idea that what they are reciting actually make up the words we speak; the same can happen with numbers.

BensDad

My suggestion is to try and make a game of it. I have gotten my son to do and try new things by disguising it as a game. Even a simple game a catch or putting away toys can turn into a counting game.

stayathomepaul

Making it a game is great. This is where I do have some video and computer games that I love. If I were you I would go check out starfall. It is a learning website that helps teach numbers and letters and my 3 year old loves it.