Cutting the cord

DadOf4

Ok guys! How many of you are willing to cut the cord after your baby is born? LOL I passed on the birth of my first child - I was chicken! The other three I did it.

PappaQ

I did it with my babies. Fortunately, the doctor was really reassuring and told me that nothing bad would happen. :)

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The wife says I am allowed to stay outside the room. So I do not see myself as going in there. She prefers only one other person besides medical staff there.

Daffy

We didn't have the option when my kids were born. I would have done it though. I didn't even get to be in the delivery room. When my kids were born, the dads stayed in the lobby and waited. I would have loved to have been there but it just wasn't allowed.

WVOz1970

I did on my firstborn, and as I said in another post, I can't describe it... but there is a type of bonding, for lack of a better word, that takes place when you cut the cord.

I didn't get to on my daughter, because she was c-section. They were supposed to leave a longer piece of cord so I could cut it, but the nurse wasn't paying attention and cut it down before I got the chance.

Jeff

I cut the cord on my child and it was amazing. It was just the wife, I, a nurse and the doctor. Then the nurse cleaned the scissors and gave them to us! I had never heard of that before, but we got them engraved with name and date and it is now in our China cabinet.

Ken

Cutting the cord was the most emotional part of my son being born. I loved it and would recommend it to any father. The second was finding out with the wife that our child was a boy as we did not find out ahead of time!

WillyWonka

Yeah, I did get to do it but it's been a while. I loved it and it did make the event special for me too. You are the one who has to make up your mind whether or not you want to do it. Some guys do and some don't, it's not required.

noahsdad

I got to cut our baby's cord and it was the most emotional day of my life thus far! I can not believe how precious and how different I feel every day when I look into those baby blue eyes of wonder that are staring back at me!

richard42

I cut the cord on all three of my children when they were born. The first one was a scary experience, the last two were a breeze.

Tron3000

My wife and I are expecting in February and I figured I would not cut the cord. It kind of freaks me out. I was talking to a colleague at work and who just had his first child and he said that he didn't want to do it, but he was in the delivery room, the doctor clamped off the middle of the cord, handed Jim the scissors and said, "Cut between here and here." And he just did it. He said it was like a coach telling you to do pushups, you just do it because he tells you to. I expect this will happen to me.

Steve

That is how both doctors have been for me too. I didn't mind it and it was a wonderful feeling. I get reminded of the day every time I look into our china cabinet, with the engraved shears.