Debit Card Problems

Timothy

Apparently our bank was hacked into, or somehow identity thieves got a hold of a bunch of our bank's customer's debit card numbers, I'm not really sure. Either way, the bank decided that due to "widespread fraudulent activity" that they were going to cancel our current debit cards and send us new ones. The only problem is, they didn't tell us before they did it. They just canceled the cards and left us screwed for a couple of days while we were waiting on the new cards. We came VERY close to closing our accounts with them.

polamalu43

That stinks! I guess they were trying to err on the side of caution. They did not want anyone to use your information and use your money. They could have accomplished this a different way. I hope you get your card soon!

Bear

That must be going around then because our bank and the other major "local" bank in town are having the same issues. We already had to get a new debit card because someone had already stolen our information!

BigPapa

Wow! I must be really lucky because I have never had anything like this happen to me before. Everyone in my family has though! In fact, my brothers bank account got drained by hackers just a few months ago. Thankfully he was able to get all the money back.

Andersson

I think for things like this there should always be a way to quickly contact a customer to let them know what is going on, even if it means setting up an automatic dialer like the schools do when bad weather is going on. What bank are you dealing with?

Timothy

Andersson, we are dealing with a small local bank, no one big like Bank of America. In the past they have been great but the wife and I are both really upset about the way they chose to handle this. I'm glad they decided to err on the side of caution and take action to prevent fraud before it happened, but a phone call before they canceled both our cards would have been nice. We didn't realize it had happened until we were in a checkout line with $200 worth of goods.

Sinbian

What do you expect, banks will be banks and we can't do anything about it. This case just goes to show you that they do whatever they want. They can elaborate how they did it to protect your money but what if I decide that I want to get my card hacked?!

Alfy

Apparently our bank was hacked into, or somehow identity thieves got a hold of a bunch of our bank's customer's debit card numbers, I'm not really sure. Either way, the bank decided that due to "widespread fraudulent activity" that they were going to cancel our current debit cards and send us new ones. The only problem is, they didn't tell us before they did it. They just canceled the cards and left us screwed for a couple of days while we were waiting on the new cards. We came VERY close to closing our accounts with them.
This happened to us as well. We were in the grocery store and I had left my wallet at home. We had a whole grocery cart of food and the debit card wasn't working. She said we had better call the bank. There were a few cards that came up compromised and my wife's was one. They never called her to say don't use it. What a day to forget my wallet and my debit card.