Discipline

2andalone

I have heard that the step-parent should never be the one to be the main disciplinarian for the kids, it should always be their biological parent. Do you agree?

GranddadHoward

I think that has some merit to it, but every situation is different. I think the most important thing is for the biological parent and step-parent agree on discipline, or at least never discuss any differences in front of the kids, and that the biological parent back the stepparent up if they do discipline the kids.

2andalone

I think that has some merit to it, but every situation is different. I think the most important thing is for the biological parent and step-parent agree on discipline, or at least never discuss any differences in front of the kids, and that the biological parent back the stepparent up if they do discipline the kids.
I think that's good advice. I've seen some families where it just doesn't work. The step-parent might take out some frustration on the step-child, for example. If there is communication between the adults I think it can work, but it requires a lot of hard work.

crowl

I never fall for silly things like that honestly to me, both parents need to share the responsibility. No one is a bad parent for correcting the child but they are both parents and should be taking the responsibility evenly.

Luke

I think that both parents (step or otherwise) need to agree on a plan of discipline together and stick with it. Back each other up when it's needed that good cop/bad cop thing doesn't work with kids.

2andalone

I really do get the point of the advice. The step-parent is often not in a good position to provide discipline and sometimes it only creates more conflict in the family. My friend's wife has a hard time because she constantly tries to discipline the kids and my friend (their father) overturns it. It makes sense to come up with a plan and actually stick with it.