Does It Seem Like Kids Are Older Now?

Jerry F

I know times are very different from when I grew up, but do you think kids are growing up faster now? I don't mean physically, I mean mentally and their actions. I know music and movies have promoted this but it seems like they don't even get to have a childhood now.

RandysDad

I've noticed this too. It seems like the media is pushing them to be "adult" when they aren't ready for it. I've seen 10 year olds at school having full makeup on. That's just wrong.

Rey1970

I remember when I was young that whenever you went to see a baby, they had their eyes closed and wouldn't move much. Now it seems that babies are exploring the world as soon as they leave the womb.

danno

The clothes they sell for youngsters nowadays are just mini versions of adult clothes. I agree, kids are encouraged to act and think like adults far too early.

RandysDad

They are not physically or mentally able to handle it. I have heard discussions of the impact of this type of behavior on youngsters and it's not good. I hate that this trend seems to be in no way stopping for now.

WillyWonka

I'm not fond of this trend either. I think the kids need time to be kids and have a childhood. They are missing so much that is an important part of growing up when they are like this. I think the parents are to blame too though. I know it's everywhere these days, but do we do enough policing to stop this in our house?

KrazyRon

I have noticed and it doesn't go on in my house. We buy kids clothing and my daughter knows better than to come back from the store with that type of stuff. If she does, it goes back immediately or it gets burned. We are very strict on what the kids can do and wear.

stepdad

Kids are growing up fast, but there's not a lot we can do except make sure they are well equipped to handle the world. We are strict in that we don't let the teens go to parties, but make sure they are socially active so they don't want to rebel later. Pick your battles!