Eating control

youngone

Are you strict on what your child/children eat or do you let them eat what they want?

I am quite strict, I like to feed my son nourishing food and I let him have one treat if he wants one. I don't like taking my son food shopping because of all the temptations on the shopping aisles, it can be a nightmare.

Lorenzo

We try to provide them a balanced diet with just the right amounts of the three food groups - the go, grow and glow. We also minimize their intake of "junk food" by letting them bring homemade snacks to school. Of course, you can't be with your kids all the time to make sure they're eating right, so we constantly remind them to be watchful of what they take in.

mollew3

Im very strict on what my kids eat. For dinner we mostly have vegetables and a meat like chicken or fish. I believe that eating right will have a lot of benefits for them long term.

youngone

Im very strict on what my kids eat. For dinner we mostly have vegetables and a meat like chicken or fish. I believe that eating right will have a lot of benefits for them long term.
The benefits are huge, their brains and bodies are still developing, what you feel them at an early age is very important because its the building blocks for their healthy development. The food some parents feed their children is shocking to me.

Justadad

I can absolutely see the benefits of some control. My son did not allow my grandson to eat sweets at all until he was of school age, and now my grandson doesn't show as much interest as his peers in stuffing his face with sugary treats.

Andersson

We have always tried to keep healthy foods in the house, back when our kids were little there was less junk food. Now its on every store aisle and even right when you walk into the stores. We keep a little junk food in the house now but not much.

Don

We don't forbid junk food, but we limit the amount of it that we keep in the house. We usually have those small candy bars with some popcorn when we have family movie night. My wife does have a hidden stash of Twizzlers for herself, however.

Foster

My eldest child is a difficult one as he lives with him mum and only comes once a month at the most, she lets him eat what he pleases but when he is hear if he eats a reasonable amount of food at meal times then he can have a treat afterwards. My youngest child is still bottle fed and my middle child is treated the same as the eldest, he eats well he gets a treat.

Christian

We try to encourage healthy eating habits, and we don't have much junk here. My kids will usually choose fruit over a cookie or something anyway so we must be doing something right!

Victor

We offer lots of healthy foods. I will notice if my daughter is eating a lot of carbs, for instance and then make her pick from among the fruits and vegetables available. However, we also let her eat treats a little more frequently than we really should.

Bearsfan

We are starting to keep less unhealthy snacks in the house. It's hard because both my wife and I love chips and cookies and all that stuff. But, we have noticed that the kids will gravitate to that for snacks verses a piece of fruit (which we also have in the house at all times). So, we are working on just keeping the good for us snacks in the house, except when we have an occassional treat.

youngone

We are starting to keep less unhealthy snacks in the house. It's hard because both my wife and I love chips and cookies and all that stuff. But, we have noticed that the kids will gravitate to that for snacks verses a piece of fruit (which we also have in the house at all times). So, we are working on just keeping the good for us snacks in the house, except when we have an occassional treat.
Maybe you should think about improving your eating habits as a family. Your children will learn from you and adopt your eating habits. You might also come across as a hypocrite if you eat what you forbid your children to eat.

Jatelo2

I think that as a parent you should know that parenting is inclusive of every aspect of the child's life. I would be very keen especially on what the kids eat because what they eat has a great bearing on their health!

Victor

Yes, we struggle with this too. We are junk food junkies and it's been hard. It's one of the reasons our daughter eats treats a little too often.

Niceness8000

We are a little strict on the amount of sweets he has. He can eat as much of the regular food as he wants. he seems to stop when he's full, so we don't worry about him over eating.