Explaining private parts

Theran

My toddler is has discovered her private parts and I can't figure out how to get her to stop publicly exploring. I don't know if it's because she's a girl or what, but it makes me very uncomfortable. She isn't quite talking yet so having a little sit down with her is out of the question. Do I just have to deal with this until she is old enough to talk to?

SilverVeil

I'm going to assume that if she's not talking very well yet, she's still in pampers. So, since toilet training is also in the near future, why not explain and reinforce at each change that it's yucky to touch. Remember she's getting her cues from you. Don't be embarrassed and she'll eventually stop being curious.

frank101

Yes you will have to deal with this until she gets old enough to understand what you are saying to her. There is nothing that you can do about it until she gets old enough to understand that "exploring" herself is something that is to be done in private or not at all.

Kenny

Why on earth would you tell her that touching herself was "yucky"? Certainly it is something to be done in private but at such a young age it is not something she should be made to feel ashamed of either. Telling her it is yucky is a good way to set her up with feelings of shame about her sexuality when she gets older.

Sammie

Kenny is right. From everything I have ever read and been told by my kid's doctor you should never make them feel like it is dirty to explore. It's just a matter of waiting for the communication gap to close so you can explain that this is something that should only be done in the privacy of her own room. For now, maybe you could gently move her hand away and give her a toy to occupy herself with.

Caleb

I would not say yucky either. I would let my wife handle this one though, as I can handle the boys for these types of talks. I think you should explain that it is only ok to "explore" those parts in private as they are private parts.

Theran

Thanks, guys. I agree about not saying "yucky." I don't want her to have some type of problem as an adult and be ashamed of herself or whatever. I just can't wait until she's old enough to explain this to. In the meantime, she's quite the little devil about unsnapping onsies and taking her diaper off, lol.

Kenny

Theran my little one has started doing this too and she will also hold herself (we think when she is going to the bathroom) so my wife has taken this as a sign to start working on potty training. 17 months is really too young (so I am told by my wife) but we still take her and let her sit on the little toddler potty several times a day. I think it's a good way to get that ball rolling just don't push it.

Theran

Yea, yea, mine does that too! Sometimes she just reaches down and grabs a hold of her diaper and holds it tight for a minute. It never occurred to me that she might be doing this when she's going.

17 months does sound too young to full out potty train, but getting her acclimated to the potty now is probably a good idea. From what I've heard, girls are easier than boys when it comes to potty training.