Family Values

KevinD

How do you feel about the values kids are growing up with today as opposed to when you were growing up? Many things that are acceptable today weren't when many of us were younger. The content on tv, movies, and music have all changed and those things have an impact on kids and even adults. The English language is torn to shreds with all this internet slang. Do you think today's generation is heading in a good direction?

benben

I feel as if the world is losing its moral compass at a faster rate. I know each generation feels that about the next. To me it is the increase in the speed that is alarming.

2andalone

Meh, I am really not concerned with it. Society changes, that's just what it does. People are just as moral as they have been, in my opinion. It's just a matter of hearing about it more and having more access to it.

Whenever I hear people my age talk about today's young adults being immoral or lacking in values I remind them who raised this generation.

Peyton

Whenever I hear people my age talk about today's young adults being immoral or lacking in values I remind them who raised this generation.
That's an excellent point; however, I see a lot of parents allowing their kids to get away with stuff that I would have been disciplined for as a kid. I'm not sure if it's because there are a lot more divorces and, therefore, a lot more parents who only have their kids part time, or if it's because in most intact homes both parents are working all day, but I see a lot of guilt. And that guilt leads to giving the kids more leeway than we had.

2andalone is absolutely right that we need to take responsibility for the children we raise. Maybe it's just where I live, but I see an awful lot of spoiling going on around me.

Mel

The solid basics of what is acceptable within a family don't change much with time I don't think. The setting the family finds itself in changes, but the correct conduct toward family members is pretty basic.