Father's Rights and Early Child Development

sid

The Father's Rights Movement seeks for equal custody of children between father and mother, whether divorced or unwed. I see this as a positive move from the side of men, in the light of what I've read about fatherless children. Literature about fatherless children says that they are much more likely to end up in jail, commit suicide, go through depression, etc.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
It is great if it will work. A child needs both parents. But sadly there are still people on each side that will use their child as a pawn or try to keep the child away from the other as a form of punishment.

Richard

I really feel more and more like this kind of thing should be determined on a case-by-case basis. Yes, children should have a relationship with both parents if possible, but if one parent will have a more detrimental influence than the other (is abusing drugs/alcohol, has a history of abusive behavior), then a mediator should probably determine how much time that parent gets with the kids.

the saint

As said here, children need both parents. Without a dad, some children cannot find their true identity, and the loss has a psychological effect that are often unnoticed.

Salazar

It is great if it will work. A child needs both parents. But sadly there are still people on each side that will use their child as a pawn or try to keep the child away from the other as a form of punishment.
Sadly, I think that still happens in most of the cases. Maybe I'm being cynical from my own situation and the situations of a few friends, but I see a lot of women who use their kids against the dad. And in some places, the courts haven't gotten with the times and are still mostly on the woman's side.