Fish dying

Salazar

I bought my daughter a fish tank for Valentine's Day and we've been through about six fish already. The last one from the latest batch died this morning. Does anyone have advice for keeping fish alive? I have to keep telling her they're hiding in the bushes until I can replace them. :rolleyes:

BigPapa

Are you over feeding them? Is the tank big enough? Is the water the right temperature or are there too many minerals/chemicals in your tap water? There are so many things that can kill a fish.

Don

What type of tank is it? Does it have a filter system? Is the water cloudy? There are so many things that could be going on. The first thing I would suggest would be to have the pet store test your water for you.

Bearsfan

You might want to consider buying one of those complete set-ups in a box. They usually come with the tank, air pump and filter system, as well as a few decorations. The most important thing they come with is a video on setting up and maintaining the tank and water.

Salazar

I think it might be the water temperature. I did buy one of those set ups that comes with the filtration system, but it didn't come with a heater. I also got drops that are supposed to make tap water okay for fish. I'm not sure how well they work, but the pet store said they use them. I'm going to buy a heater this week when I go to get more fish.