Following in your footsteps

Zebeddee

Would you like your kids to get into the same line as work as you? If so, do you encourage them and nurture their interest? I work in the social care field and to be honest I would rather my kids did something else.

Aiden

I think it would be cool but only if it's something they are passionate about. I really want them to do whatever it is that makes them happy; I think that's much more important.

TopPop

No. I hate my job and I wouldn't want either of the kids to work in my field. It's too stressful and demanding and I have to travel a lot. I hope they get a better education than I did and find something they love to do.

JakeJ

TopPop, how do you play this out with the kids? I think it's natural that they will be interested in what you do. Have you actually sat them down and said 'go to college'?

Howard

I think sometimes aptitude can run in families. There are "musical" families, "medical" families, etc. If that's the case, I'd encourage it. Otherwise, I'd help them find out what they're really good at.

Zebeddee

I am going to encourage them to find their own way and do something they are interested in. It's hard to balance quality time with the stress and negativity I bring home sometimes.

danno

I think it's the professional or service families that tend to follow their parents. You always see families of actors, doctors or soldiers. I paint but it's difficult to make a living at it so I won't encourage my son except as a hobby.

Jack

I was a truck driver before becoming the stay at home parent, and I have three daughters. I think it would be kind of cool if they wanted to drive trucks. Better yet if they were to own their own trucking company!