Gender Preference

James

Dads and Dads-To-Be: During your wife's pregnancy, did you have a preference for the gender of the child? My wife always said she didn't care whether it was a boy or a girl, so long as the child was healthy. Now, we all want our child to be born healthy, but did you also wish for a specific gender?

Ronald

I went back and forth when my wife was pregnant. At times, I was sure I wanted a girl, but then at other times, I would find myself hoping for a boy.

Sinbian

For some time I wanted a girl but then I realized I wanted a boy to show and teach him all the things I used to do with my father. But in the end it was all the same.

bighelp

I never had one myself but I know a few who did and boy did it drive them crazy when they decided to not find out until the day of birth. I could not imagine trying to wait that long to find something out!

Bonzay

Corny as it may seam I think the most important thing is to have a child, strong and healthy, and it doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl.

Babar

I think it's trivial to fret over what the gender is going to be. It's not something that is within our control (for now, anyway), and besides, there are plenty of unisex activities and milestones that you will experience with your son or daughter regardless.

Victor

I didn't care too much. I have 2 girls and they are both the apple of my eye. If we have any more, it'd be nice to have a boy, but if we have another girl, I'm ok with that.

Bobby

All I hoped for was a healthy baby. I figured if it was a boy, I'd be able to play some sports and do some guy things together and if it was a girl, we'd do other things. Every dad wants a little girl to spoil. As it stands, we have 2 boys and I couldn't be happier.

Lorenzo

For me personally, I would have preferred a boy for a first-born. But when I held my eldest daughter for the first time, nothing else mattered but her.

My wife and I did manage to have a son - our youngest. And, come to think of it, after my first daughter was born, I never gave much thought to the gender of our other kids but on their well-being (ten fingers, ten toes, no congenital defects, etc.)

Salazar

I flip flopped a lot on what I wanted. Both genders are great for different reasons and one day I would want a girl and the next day I would want a boy. In the end, we had a girl and I am thrilled.

Beattyrn1974

I don't really have a preference either as I am excited about both genders for different reasons I guess.

Check out the Being Dad Podcast on iTunes or at beingdadpodcast.com. The show for those of us trying to survive being dad.

meowcow

Not that I have a preference, but I do think boys are a little easier to handle. They are expected to become as early as possible and can be treated as such at a much earlier age. I don't have preferences just because of the fact that I can't help it anyway. What comes out, comes out. :D I just wonder if I will have a change in opinion if ever science one day permits it.

Lieutenant

I was definitely rooting for a boy the first time around. I wanted someone to play catch with and go fishing. Then when I had my son I knew that he'd make a great big brother to protect his younger sister (I wanted a girl at that point for the next child). But if I had any other kids I wouldn't really care what sex they were.

clipt

I definitely wanted a boy. It's a lot of stress with a child period. I wasn't looking forward to having to beat up her little boyfriends when that time came haha

joeldgreat

I have 3 great kids. My first born is a girl. The second is a boy and the third is a girl again. At first I really wanted to have a boy as my first born. During pregnancy, my wife's OB told us that its a boy (something to do with the heart beat) which makes me even more excited. But in the 5th month, we found out that its a girl. But, by then I was already occupied of being a father that gender was left on the closet. As it turns out my first born is now doing excellent job at school and growing to be a nice and loving daughter to us. If I will to choose between a boy or a girl again, I would never mind what the gender is.

encryptedbytes

I wanted a boy the first time around, but got a girl. I wasn't disappointed in the least though. It's been an awesome experience raising her. The second time around I wanted a boy again, mainly because I didn't get one the first time and thought it'd bee cool to have one of each. This time I did get a boy and I was pretty happy about that. It ahs also been an awesome experience raising him, but in different ways.

bray2160

Actually I preferred having a son. I believe there's less heartache when they get order. You have to be very careful with girls and some of the things you hear about them as a teen may break your heart if they aren't using proper judgment.

Timothy

When I found out my wife was pregnant, I was scared to death! For a while, it didn't even occur to me to wish one way or the other. However, as she started to develop, the shock subsided and I got more used to the idea. Once I "got okay" with it, I started to want a boy, because we had a great name picked out for him and I started thinking about all the father/son things I could do with him.

jharrod

I would eventually like to have a boy and a girl but I never really cared which one came first. I know it is said all the time but I do just really want my child to be healthy. A boy would be great so he would always protect his younger sister.

June11th

My wife is currently pregnant with our first child and she has about seven weeks to go until our due date. Obviously we are very excited to be parents for the first time no matter how much of a surprise it was to both of us.

We did find out the gender of our baby at an ultrasound, and we know that it's not exactly 100% but we've been told that it's a little girl. Which, was both of our preferences for the first child and we had no problems saying that (though, we'd obviously both love a son all the same as we will our daughter.)

I'm starting to think about number two (is that normal?) hoping for a son... :p