Gift Cards

ChristopherT

Is there an appropriate way to tell my family that if they aren't sure what to buy the kids that a gift card is okay? I know it seems impersonal but since most of the family is out of state they don't know the kids that well and I'd rather them just pick out something they want and call and tell them about it when they thank them.

Greendad

An example works wonder. Start with gifting their kids gift cards in special occasions. Most possibly they would be inspired to do the same to your kids. Good luck!

crowl

I have never seen any issue with this, mainly if you can find out what their favorite store is. We do this all of the time and we have never had an issue - and we have a very large and loud family.

Len

When somebody asks me what my kids I like I usually just say something like "Katherine loves books. She could use a gift card for Barnes & Noble." I am pretty up front about it and nobody gives me any trouble. If you can be a little specific about the store or type of store I think that helps.

Clive

I think gift cards are widely accepted gifts among most people these days and your family shouldn't have a problem with it. Yea, it's a little impersonal, but if it's going to enable the kids to get what they really want then it's the best plan.

ChristopherT

I talked to my sister and she said it doesn't seem like the presents stick in the kids' heads as coming from them. It's not about getting credit for spending money it's about the connection they have. It's hard to have one, she said, when they live in another state.

Pascallist

Yeah, I think it's almost a norm to give the kids gift cards if you don't know what gifts they really want and will be happy with. It's not like that you ask your family to give the kids money.