House Renovations

Kina

So for the past month I have been planning house renovations. I am doing some of the work, but most of it is beyond my skill level. My wife and I have picked out the tile and new paint and vanities, carpet etc.. but it stresses her out, and in turn stresses me out.

We can not agree on a contractor, and what work will be done. I have scheduled everything to be done while she is out of town for a week with the kid, so I can have some piece of mind. She has strong opinions, but wants me to relay them all to the people doing the work, and she has no clue how complex some of her ideas are and how difficult and costly it would be to implement them.

So basically she is not getting everything she wants. When she comes home from her week vacation I am going to be really upset if she is not blown away.

I guess this is more of a rant than a post lol.

Andersson

Sometimes that happens even when you plan to have everything on your checklist. We ran into some issues when we did a job years ago but that is because we had no idea what was behind the walls or under the floor until we got to that point in the job. Take it one day at a time.

Kyp

We are remodeling our bathroom. It has taken way too long, and is stressing EVERYONE out. Seriously, it's been over a month. The contractor is coming tomorrow to do some work, and hopefully it will be done in the next week or so. Good luck to you!

Victor Leigh

I don't quite understand why the little woman should be upset if she couldn't get everything the way she wanted. There's only one way to get most of everything she wants and that is to pay someone to do it. Since there is a budgetary constraint, she has to be reasonable about what she is getting for the amount of money spent.

flfsurveyor

Well, Kina. First of all, GOOD LUCK! Even though I am handy with tools and can decent renovation work, I will not attempt to do what you have described. Will definitely hire a contractor to do the work Maybe allocate some money for professional interior design ideas. There has to be a plan including concept drawing. Written down and signed-off by you, your spouse and the contractor. Imagine the waste of money , and the stress of endless blame-game, if you have to tear down the finished product because it did not come up to what you 'thought' it should. Finally, allocate an extra 25% of your budget for contingencies like having to re-do the entire kitchen plumbing when all you wanted to do was replace the sink!