Irrational Spending?

Sinbian

I know people that just don't know how to save money and they have more then they need for sure but they manage to spend it anyway. What would you say to them?

Salazar

There isn't much you can say. I've tried to help people like that, but the best advice in the world isn't going to stop them from spending until they decide to make a change. Like so many other things, it's a habit that needs to be broken by the person who is doing it.

olderthandirt

As long as no emergencies come up and they don't lose their jobs, they're not hurting anyone by not saving. The only way for someone like that to change is by going through a tough time. Some people can't envision the rainy day that some of us save for, until the storm clouds come.

Sinbian

A good thing would be to take a loan for something big, like a car or real estate. Since they don't take care of the spending anyway, they won't even notice those monthly payments that are being deducted from their salaries.

polamalu43

Nothing! It isn't my business what other people do with their money. I wouldn't loan then money but I wouldn't complain to them either. Their money = their decision.

Salazar

As long as no emergencies come up and they don't lose their jobs, they're not hurting anyone by not saving. The only way for someone like that to change is by going through a tough time. Some people can't envision the rainy day that some of us save for, until the storm clouds come.
That's so true! I had to hit rock bottom before I realized what saving is all about. Thankfully, that happened when I was younger, so I learned my lesson early on in life.

BigPapa

I agree with you Polamalu. It isn't my business what others do with their money. you can have your opinion about their wastefulness, but you can't make them be more responsible.

Bear

I would never stick my nose into their finances in the first place. You may not agree with what they do with their money but at the end of the day it is their money!

On The Mark

If they're family I might say something. If they're family that is always borrowing money from me, I would definitely say something. Anyone else, it's their life and their money. It's none of my business.

Victor

If they're family I might say something. If they're family that is always borrowing money from me, I would definitely say something. Anyone else, it's their life and their money. It's none of my business.
If they are spending irresponsibly, why would you lend them money in the first place? I refuse to enable people who aren't good with their money.