Is the love the same?

NewDad

When you are a step-father do you feel that you love the children just the same? I don't have any experience in this area, but was thinking about it recently. I bet it's hard at first.

Mel

I suppose that it is more of a conscious choice that has to be made. On the flip side, I've seen some parents who don't seem as caring toward their own children as some step parents.

Aiden

I don't think the love should be any different. If you are with someone, you have to love their kids like your own or the relationship will never work out. That's how I feel anyway.

McGregor

I suppose that it is more of a conscious choice that has to be made.
I think so. Love to your bio child would come naturally while you may have to put a little effort to love your step kid. It's just my guess though.

stepdad

It really depends on the relationship you had with your bio children to start with. When my girl were young, I rarely saw them due to my stupidity and the bad relationship I had with their mother. By the time I met my current wife, I had changed and could now allow love in.

TopPop

I have a step son and it definitely is something that you have be conscious of. Yes, I love him and I am grateful to have him in my life, but to say that I love him as much as I love my daughter is a stretch.

CoolFather

Most of the times it isn't the exactly same love, but it is generally pretty similar. Stepfathers can develop a very close relationship with their stepchildren, especially if the child will allow it and not develop preconceptions, such as the oh-so-common "you can't replace my father"...