Kids and knives

Daniel

My wife and I share kitchen duties and we both include our kids in the cooking. One thing that we do that is somewhat unpopular with our friends is that we allow our very young children to cut with knives. Of course we are supervising and teaching them how to properly hold the food and knife. It is great to help your kids develop coordination and they feel such pride in their accomplishments. My three year old can dice.

crowl

There are some adults that can not dice so that is an accomplishment in itself. We are waiting another year or two as our youngest is not quite mature enough just yet.

Blake

I think that's a good idea so long as you are supervising. I have seen 10 year olds that could not cut their own meat. In fact, my younger sister wasn't "allowed" to cut her own meat until she was 16.

Independent

Our kids can use knives. We did not start until they were about 5, but that was because we felt that was when they were ready. I want them to know how to safely use a knife.

Kenneth

As long as they are taught to be careful it should be no big deal. I mean adults tend to cut themselves more often than you'd think so it's just about being careful. I don't remember my parents ever stopping me from using a knife. A razor on the other hand, is a different story.

Peyton

Knowing the way some of my friends are with their kids, I can see why it's unpopular. However, I think there's nothing wrong with teaching kids to properly use knives when you think they're ready.

GoPats

As soon as my kids start eating on their own they get a fork, spoon and knife - of course it's a baby set but they get all the utensils. Cutting is great for coordination, but it's also good for making a mess!

Verny

We only let the kids use the bread knife. I don't want them to get hurt so I won't let them use a sharp knife. They are helping out in the kitchen like peeling vegetables but not with cutting and slicing.