Kids and responsibility

Kevin

Do you think kids have more or less responsibility today than in generations past? I have done my best to encourage a strong work ethic with my oldest daughter. In the summer, she helps me cut wood for the winter and she has household responsibilities as well. Her friends don't seem to have to do anything at home other than their schoolwork. What's your take on this?

KSmith

I think it's great that you're instilling a work ethic in your daughter. I'm doing the same with my kids.

Kids overall seem to have a lot less responsibility than they did in past generations. I know one kid who failed seventh grade simply because his parents did not require him to put the Gameboy (or whatever it was) up and do his homework. How are kids going to have any kind of work ethic later in life if parents aren't instilling it in them as they grow up?

Jdrake

I see a lot of kids who are not given responsibility. I even know some parents who think I am an ogre because the kids all have chores to do. I also go out of my way to turn some responsibilities in to fun as well as make them rewarding. This way the kids do not just do what they are responsible for but also learn at a core level that responsibility is a good thing.

greatdad

Seems like many parents have forgotten that instilling a sense of responsibility in their kids is important. I know several kids who have no chores and no responsibility. They are either on the computer, playing a video game, or doing something else that they want to do. It's going to be sad when they grow up and find out there are things that they have to do. I wonder how they will adjust to having and keeping a job.